Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2013 06:00

Dell Dimension 2400 and SATA Harddrive

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that has a hard drive that uses a gray cable to connect to the motherboard. I think that is an IDE ?  I am trying to find out if it is possible to connect a SATA hard drive to this motherboard.  

I have a Dell Studio that simply refused to come on. I feel it is the motherboard, not the power switch, because things have, over the last little while, quit working. First the DVD drive would not work, then the external DVD drive that can be plugged in to a USB port would not work on the pc. I had a friend who had the very same Studio and the same thing happened to hers. She had someone look at hers and was told the motherboard had indeed gone bad. So I feel that the motherboard just breathed her last breath and died on me.  The SATA drive is in it. I have all my info on the drive backed up to about a month or so ago, so it is not a huge loss of data, but over the last week there are things on the drive that were not backed up yet that I would like to access and get off the drive.  I have no reason to believe that the hard drive is ruined in any way, and I would like to install it on my Dell Dimension 2400 just to get what I did not have backed up yet over the last week.

When I went to install the hard drive out of the Studio I found that it does not have a spot for the long gray cable on it.  So I need to know if I can still install this drive on the Dimension 2400. If so can someone tell me, or post a link to, the spot on the motherboard of the Dimension, that a SATA drive would plug into?

Thanks so much in advance!

Julie

750 Posts

August 25th, 2013 09:00

Hi Julie,

Welcome to Dell community!

SATA hard drives are unsupported by Dimension 2400. It only supports IDE hard drives. However, you may try using an IDE to SATA adapter to connect the SATA hard drive to this computer which may work. Refer the following link for information about the IDE to SATA adapter: http://dell.to/16ypSm3

Similar adapter can be found at any local store. Regarding the issue with your Dell Studio computer, may I know the exact system model? Are any beeps heard when you switch it on? Also, what’s the status of the power button light when you switch on the computer?

August 25th, 2013 09:00

The one that won't come on is a Dell Studio 540. It is the one that has the SATA connections and hard drive.

No beeps are heard and the power button does not light at all. Absolutely nothing happens when the power button is pushed.  However the green light by the power supply where the cord plugs in on the back lights up green when it is plugged in.

August 25th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for all you help!  I will try that. I did order that part just a little bit ago, thanks for the link. If one does not work, then maybe the other will.  

Again, thank you so much!!!!!!

750 Posts

Hi Julie,

Issue is most likely with the motherboard as you have mentioned. But have you tried reseating the power connectors inside the tower? Refer the following link for the Studio 540 service manual: http://bit.ly/14owB2O

Follow the instructions from the manual to remove the computer cover. Remove and reconnect the 24-pin power connector on the motherboard. Remove and reconnect the 4-pin power connector (2 black & 2 brown wires) on the motherboard that is located next to the video connector on the motherboard. Replace the computer cover and connect the power cable. Press the power button and check if the computer power’s on.

750 Posts

Hi Julie,

You're most welcome!

Kindly let me know how it goes.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 25th, 2013 12:00

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that has a hard drive that uses a gray cable to connect to the motherboard. I think that is an IDE ?  I am trying to find out if it is possible to connect a SATA hard drive to this motherboard.  

It's not possible to connect a SATA drive to the motherboard, because it does not have SATA posts. However, you can install a third-party SATA card like this Rosewill at nominal cost. If you do so, you will also need a SATA data cable and SATA power adapter. A hard drive activity LED, which connects to pins on the card and inserts into the green holder behind the front bezel, is optional.

I don't recommend IDE-to-SATA adapters, as they use the onboard IDE hardware and BIOS, which was not designed for today's large hard drives.

August 26th, 2013 13:00

Well, unfortunately unplugging and plugging back in the cables did not make it power up. So I have ordered the first part reccomended and if that does now work I will the second part.

I will let you all know what happens and thanks so much!

750 Posts

August 27th, 2013 08:00

Hi Julie,

Motherboard has to be replaced in your Studio 540 computer as you had suspected. Refer the following link to check the computer’s warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

If the computer has active warranty, please send me the service tag and registered owner’s name on the computer in a Private Message. To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our expired warranty services to purchase/replace the compatible parts. Please refer the following link that has contact details for our Expired Warranty Services: http://dell.to/14FoBtb

September 3rd, 2013 16:00

Okay, update... the little adapter came in today. It worked so far as connecting and everything. But Vista on the hard drive is 64 bit and the older pc I was wanting to put it in motherboard will not support 64 bit.   So yes, the little connectors do work as they are supposed to. But the motherboard would not support Vista 64 bit.  Oh well, I didn't spend a lot trying it and I discovered a docking system, so I just got one of those.

Thanks for everyones help!

750 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Julie,

Thank you for letting us know the results. It's our pleasure assisting you. Feel free to post in the forum for any issues.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2016 00:00

There are adapters you can get to go both ways between SATA and PATA devices. Some plug into your motherboard (but make sure you have room for the gadget, since it's right ON the edge of the motherboard and MIGHT not fit), and some can plug into the back of your hard drive or DVD/CD drive (though I like to Velcro them on for safety.)

So yes, it's do-able, but YMMV!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 17th, 2016 07:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 17th, 2016 08:00

No Events found!