Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2011 07:00

Dell Dimension 2400 network ethernet card port change

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, and lately because of Internet connection problems, I had to check things. After installing a new Internet connection I think that there is a problem with the Network card - Board 10 - 100 network port.

Can it be changed and how?

The technician checked the internet speed with his laptop and the speed was much higher than my PC.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 7th, 2011 08:00

You Ethernet NIC is integrated on the motherboard.  The port cannot be changed and most likely is not your problem. 

Did the tech use your Ethernet cable that you connect to the modem (or router)? Or did he use his own cable?   If your cable was not used, the cable could be the problem. 

Are you using a Router between the PC and the modem? or are you going direct from the PC to the modem?   If you have a router (usually techs will bypass the router and only test directly into their modem) it could be the router is the problem. 

You can also reinstall the drivers for the Ethernet NIC and see if that helps.  HERE is the Dell Broadcom NIC driver.  It is a 2003 version and even if it's the same as you have now, install it.

If you feel there is a hardware problem with the NIC, you could install a PCI Ethernet card and use that.  There was a recent post from a user with a 2400 and thats what they did because of problems with the Integrated (on the motherboard) NIC. 

You may want to repost this on the Networking section of the forum - the forum section for connection problems.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 7th, 2011 10:00

Considering the age of the 2400 and speeds such as we are getting now were unheard of I would look for a PCI Ethernet card and use that.  

HERE is an Intel NIC card that should work.  It gets good reviews and at $30 the price won't break the bank.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2011 10:00

I have manged to download and install the driver - no luck - the same lousy Internet speed.

I wonder if changing the card will help at all. I tried to check the speed with another laptop and it was just fine.

Any further advices?

4 Posts

April 7th, 2011 11:00

Will the Intel PCI Ethernet ensure faster internet connection? Do I get better speeds with other computers just because they are more modern than the old Dell?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 7th, 2011 13:00

Since your existing Ethernet NIC SEEMS to have a problem, a new Ethernet NIC SHOULD allow you to attain the speed the tech did.

New PC's with current technology hardware are capable of current Internet speeds and more.

Since you cannot get the full speed that you want with your current hardware, a new NIC card is the next step.  No 100% guarantee that it will run faster.  Nothing is ever certain in PC's with problems such as this until different hardware and in this case a NIC card is tried.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2013 21:00

I just spent a Sunday that I will never get back struggling with this for a Dimension 2350, so I hope my answer helps you and redeems it. Your issue sounds just like mine. This is what I did(warning - wordy!): Prior to installing your new NIC card in the tower's PCI slot, press the power button and press F2 several times to get to the BIOS. Navigate to the "peripherals" option and disable the onboard NIC (network card). Save the changes in the BIOS and exit. Allow XP to load. Shut down and unplug PC. Open case and Install the new card in the PCI slot (make sure you touch the metal part of the tower so you're grounded and don't risk shorting out the card with electrostatic discharge). Close the case and boot the PC. Once you log in to windows, check the task tray (lower right hand corner). At this point, you should see a message that your NIC card has been identified and is/being installed.

I apologize for the wordiness, but I wanted to make sure each step was laid out for you.

if you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

Good luck!

No Events found!