Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 18th, 2009 11:00

Dell Dimension 2400 problem with increasing RAM

Hard Drive 40G, CPU 2.2G, 512K

Existing RAM is 256. Windows XP Professional. On dial-up.

I contacted Dell to increase RAM.

Dell Sales said should be no problem, just exchange the module.

I purchased a 1G module from Dell and installed it in the same slot, computor starts and displays recognition of the new RAM memory and asks for a choice F1 or F2.

When continueing,  Microsoft warning comes up that it has to shut down and requests error report to be sent.

While the error report is prepared and sent, Microsoft sends back a solution and directs me to a Dell website but because of my slow dial-up, I cannot find out what the solution would be before another warning comes up stating that the computer will be shut down to prevent damage.

Then the computer shuts down displaying a blue page with warnings and technical details and numbers.

What do I need to do to configure the system to the new 1G RAM?

New Dell system driver download? Which one?

BIOS changes? How?

Please, help, I am not very experienced with computer.

8 Posts

It could be the wrong type of RAM.  For the Dimension 2400, it MUST be DDR PC2700.  If it's DDR2, it won't work.  Best bet is to buy two 1GB chips from here to max out your memory, but at least one:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%202400%20Series

8 Posts

You could also go here to see if you have the latest BIOS for your computer:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

If not, it's easy to upgrade - just download the BIOS update, and follow the instructions they give you on the download site.

10 Posts

October 18th, 2009 12:00

Thank you.

The new 1G module from Dell has the number: SNP J0203C/1G. Whatever that means.

Because I am on dial-up, the computer shuts down before I have a chance to download anything from Dell with the 1G module installed.

I re-installed the old 256 module and everything is back to normal.

Can I download the BIOS update from Dell with the 256 module in place?

8 Posts

It shouldn't matter what RAM you have in place when you're downloading.  I'd keep the 256 in, restart your computer and hit F2 repeatedly when the initial Dell screen pops up.  This will get you into the BIOS, where you can check the version (probably A.3, A.4 or A.5).  If it's anything lower than A.5, go to the Dell site and download the A.5 update.

Then turn off the PC, unplug, put new RAM in, and restart, tapping F2 again.  Make sure the new BIOS version (A.5) was recognized, and that the 1GB of RAM is recognized. 

Also, make sure you only have one RAM chip installed.  If the two chips are different type and speeds, it will default to the lowest one, and will not recognize the 1GB chip.  So, just in case you were trying it with both the 256 and the 1GB in at the same time, try it again with just the 1GB.

8 Posts

Agreed - I always stick with 3rd party RAM, like www.crucial.com, which can scan your system and recommend the best RAM for you.

23 Posts

Be careful of what Dell sales gives you. A year ago I called Dell tech to see if I could put in more ram, they gave me the type of ram I needed. Than switch me to Dell sales to order it. The sales rep change the ram from the tech's recommendation to another type. I caught it and insisted ( more than once ) that I be sent what the tech said I needed. I got the tech's ram and it works perfect. If I accepted what Dell sales was going to send, I feel that I would be here asking why does't this work.

10 Posts

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

For starters, you should F2 into the BIOS and then save-and-exit. That will update your RAM settings in the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, you might consider a new RAM kit. This works on a 2350, which is similar to your 2400. It's a matched set, which aids in compatibility, performance, and stability. It's not a good idea to mix RAM types, as they may be incompatible and result in system instability.

The Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) possibly indicates a hardware problem with the memory. Perhaps the two sticks aren't compatible together and thus your 2400 has become unstable.,

You can upgrade the BIOS by: formatting a bootable floppy; downloading the Dell BIOS upgrade file; extracting the BIOS files to the bootable floppy; booting from the floppy; and executing the BIOS upgrade, after which you reboot.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 18th, 2009 15:00

I have G Skill in my Dimension E510 and it works OK.  However, over the years I've been on the forum we have seen a lot of memory compatibility problems from various memory vendors and the worst part, a particular brand/type can work in one model and not work in another of the same model.   One thing that exacerbates this is that Dell can use different part number motherboards through the production lifetime of a given model (some because of options when the PC was ordered and some just engineering updates) and that could account for some of the incompatibilities.  We have seen a good track record with the Crucial memory and the main reason we always suggest this brand. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 18th, 2009 15:00

The GSKILL modules have been tested in a 2350 and verified to work. The machine had Vista installed and the OS reported back the full 2gb of RAM.

10 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 10:00

Dell Dimension 2400, My current BIOS is A02, Windows XP.

Intent to upgrade existing memory from 256 MB and ordered 1GB from Crucial.

Need to upgrade BIOS from A02 to A05.

DELL downloads give 2 options for upgrading to A05

BR70278.exe with bootable floppy, or:

D2400A05. exe designed to be directly executed from Windows environments by saving it to Desktop and then double click for the Dell Bios Flash window to appear.

As a computer-challenged-Novice, I like this option better than the floppy one.

Any concerns about using the D2400A05 option to flash the BIOS in my Windows XP?

Meaning of FLASHING? Does it mean changing the BIOS from 02 to 05?

Help much appreciated.

8 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 16:00

I definitely prefer the 2nd option better, as well.  "Flash" is a term used just to describe the updating of "firmware" on something, whether it be a motherboard BIOS (which this is), a router, or even a multimedia/DVD player.  The hardware is pre-programmed with a certain set of code or rules it abides by, and when you "flash" it, you are just updating that code with revised, hopefully better, code.  An extreme technophile probably has a more accurate or traditional definition, but this works just fine...

When you flash the bios with the downloadable .exe file, just run the file (making sure nothing else is running, such as your internet explorer, AIM, or even anti-virus software.  It will then ask you to confirm you want to update from BIOS version A.02 to A.05.  Click yes, and let it do its thing.  Then it will ask you to restart, which you should do right away, if it doesn't do it for you.

Once it restarts, and you've confirmed everything is in working order, shut down completely, unplug the computer, and try out that RAM again!  Should work A-OK.

10 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 14:00

Success! :emotion-55:

Using the D2400A05.exe and following instructions changed the BIOS from A02 to A05 as confirmed by tapping F2.

After shutting down, I exchanged the old 256 MB for the new 1GB from Crucial, restarted and the system accepted it without problems.

Then I shut down again and installed the old 256 MB in the second slot, restarted, and it was accepted.

Now I have 1.25MB total and the computer is noticeable faster when booting up.

Result: To increase memory on a Dell Dimension 2400, BIOS A05 is needed. Dell could mark this as "Urgent/Recommended" instead of just "Optional". Dell could also tell the Customer that a BIOS upgrade is needed before selling higher memory chips.

Many thanks to LOTDN and others for the kind help. :emotion-21:

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 15:00

Awesome!  Happy I could help and that it worked out!

Now, be a big nerd like me, and get that second 1GB matching stick of RAM for max system speed! :emotion-14:

10 Posts

October 24th, 2009 09:00

Maybe I will but for now I'll wait and enjoy the increased system-speed with a sigh of relief.

Not sure if I would notice going from 1.25 to 2GB ??

I know nothing about computers and the memory thing was a big issue for this 69 year old.

Stuff like: Start in "Safe mode", and "bootable diskettes" are scary for me.

Thank heavens for XP which creates it's own solutions most of the time and helps with all kinds of problems.

No high-speed available here and dial-up means no big files for download; no movies, no music but that's alright for my computer-needs; just e-mail and some research.

Best wishes.

No Events found!