NYgnat
6 Indium

Re: Dell Dimension 2400 w/ Windows 7- CANT CHANGE RESOLUTION???

Jump to solution

That PCI card being in the >$50 range, the FREE driver I found on Driver Guide is much better for me. That card also seems a bit of overkill for the Dimension 2400's other capabilities.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

The free driver will neither enable the Aero interface nor offload video decoding, but if it works well enough then so be it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Almost all of the PCI 2.2 cards are over priced.  For $99 you can get a newer system like a GX620 that is faster and uses DDR2 and has PCI-E video.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
NYgnat
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I guess I can call myself the Frugal-IT guy... If it is free, and works, all the better. So far, so good with the "custom" (free) driver with the on-board video. Working just as well as it did with XP, but albeit a wee bit slower.. Too many Win7 rolling updates <groan>.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Almost all of the PCI 2.2 cards are over priced.  For $99 you can get a newer system like a GX620 that is faster and uses DDR2 and has PCI-E video.

My GX620 needed several mods to be a good Win7 machine.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Yes but the GX620 can use 3.5 gigs of Ram,  Windows from XP to Vista/7/8 with NX bit in the CPU.

I have Seen them WITH WINDOWS 7 for $130.  Upgrading a 620 Tower is useful and Items like Power Supply or Video card can be carried forward if upgraded.  If you choose the Right Ram speed it to can be used forward in GX745, GX755 and GX760.

4GB kit (2GBx2)  
DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •   •  ...

I have seen Overpriced PCI cards at $50 or more.emoticon.Surprise.title

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

If the OP already has a non-Dell Windows 7 license, upgrading the motherboard and CPU is an option for some future point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
stiwil
1 Copper

RE: Dell Dimension 2400 w/ Windows 7- CANT CHANGE RESOLUTION???

Jump to solution

i had the same problem, i installed window 7 from windows xp, when i got your suggestion i followed the instraction,

woooow, the thing actually works, now i am enjoying. thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
NYgnat
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I did notice that with the stock on-board video on WIN7 on the E310 or 2400s you WILL give up Google Earth capabilities. The way around any incompatibilities is to go search for a Nvidia GeForce 6200PCI 256-512MB (or WIN Vista/7 capable equivalent) card on your favorite auction site and pick one up for anywhere (I got lucky on the low end for a NEW one,) for $12-$30, and you can find them from used to New-in-Box. Just be patient. Before the 6200 is installed, make sure BIOS is set to automatic for video init, and you'll then have dual monitor capability, Just a couple of heads ups. Windows will find drivers, but if I remember correctly, to take full advantage of the card, you will need to find the driver: "307.83-desktop-win7-winvista-32bit-english-whql" and run it. And also to be careful of which output connectors the card has, and which your monitor(s) have. Some cards don't have standard dual VGAs, and you'll need the DMI to VGA adapter, otherwise you'll need to buy one. AND, Google Earth works fine, and your Windows Experience Index will go up noticeably. I haven't tried any other brand or model. I've had good luck with these, no matter which interface, AGP or PCI (plain), or on a Dimension E310, or multiple 2400s. And, if you pay <$25, all the better to save your system.

0 Kudos
brpyrate
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks to NYGnat

(And DJ Toast over on Driver Guide .com)

I installed:

"  82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Chipset Graphic Driver Version 6.14.10.4342 For Windows 7  "

From:http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?p=107595&si=9f00c2c6923f1f216324738e3925d754#post107595

on my Demension 2400 AND Solved the whole Graphics Driver mess created by

the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" Windows 7 automatically installs.

I used Philip Yip's "Unofficial  Windows Installation Guide"   

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/ 

to install it VIA the Device Manager as he suggested.

Guys,

Ya saved me!

0 Kudos