Highlighted

Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrade Hard Drive Connection Issues.

I'm new to this, so please be patient.

This is my first computer upgrade. I went to my local computer parts store and said I wanted to start building computers. The owner very kindly gave me a free Dell Dimension 3000 without a hard drive, and gave me a WD cavalier 80 GB Hard drive to replace it. I tried putting it in when I got home and it turns out none of the connectors fit from the motherboard into the new Hard drive. Am I doing something wrong? Are there adapters I can buy?

-Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrade Hard Drive Connection Issues.

You probably wasting your time since the dim 3000 is obsolete now but you should be able to install a hard drive. Check the manual here. You need to buy sata cables to connect to MB and have available power supply cables from the power supply. The hard drive needs an operating system but it is not worth spending any money on windows. XP is the unsupported insecure operating system that runs on that model. If you have XP install disk you can use that but do not connect to the Internet. It is unsafe. There are no updates for XP available. 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrade Hard Drive Connection Issues.

SATA drives need an IDE TO SATA bridge board.  No drivers involved.  KINGWIN ADP-06

Micro Center - Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06

Kingwin ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board Adapter

Newegg.com - KINGWIN ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board

Amazon.com: Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06: Electronics

Kingwin ADP-06 Bridge Board - SATA To IDE at TigerDirect.com

Kingwin ADP-06 SATA To IDE Bridge Board

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro