Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 10:00

Dell Dimension 4500 Desktop and Windows 7

I am rather new to community, but have been using a Dell Dimension 4500 Desktop since purchased in Sept. 2002 from Dell.

I bought system with Windows XP Home and upgraded to Windows XP professional and presently have it on SP3 and Windows Explorer 8 with all current updates.

I want to know if this system can run Windows 7 ?   A Microsoft scanner program I used showed that the Video Card needed to be upgraded and also need to change the Network adapter.

Present information shows:  Display Adapter as NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420   Network Adapter as CNET PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet,  Processor is An Intel 4 CPU 2.53 GHZ  Ram is 1.0 GB and that is max that can be installed.

Can someone give me so assistance ?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2010 10:00

It likely can, but you won't be able to use the fancy Aero interface with that video card - so you'd need  a new video card.  At that not many AGP cards are available any longer.  Also, since the RAM ceiling on this model is only 1G, even if you've maxed out the memory, you won't have enough RAM to run 7 well (yes, I know 1G is OK with Microsoft, but it's really too little when you start running programs under 7).

If you want 7, buy a new system with it.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2010 15:00

Thanks ejn63 for your response.

So may I ask what is an AGP Video Card and would Dell have one available for this system or must I look somewhere else ?

I understand the problem with the 1 G Ram, but can't add more.

You did not mention anything about the Network card, I know that needs to be replaced.  If I had gone to Windows Vista would have needed a new Network Card at that time.  How do I find out what is required and where might be purchased ? Again Dell or some other dealer ?

This has been a great system for me, had it almost 8 years and I have 4 Hard Drives that I have setup with software that switch out especially if my daughters crash a drive or get it messed up with virus and malware.  I use McAfee total protection Anti-malware bytes, but still get things when they go out to facebook or whatever.  Have you any idea how long Windows XP Pro will be suported by Microsoft and also be able to get parts for this computer from Dell ?

Thanks for your assistance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2010 19:00

Thanks ejn63 for your response.

So may I ask what is an AGP Video Card and would Dell have one available for this system or must I look somewhere else ?

I understand the problem with the 1 G Ram, but can't add more.

You did not mention anything about the Network card, I know that needs to be replaced.  If I had gone to Windows Vista would have needed a new Network Card at that time.  How do I find out what is required and where might be purchased ? Again Dell or some other dealer ?

This has been a great system for me, had it almost 8 years and I have 4 Hard Drives that I have setup with software that switch out especially if my daughters crash a drive or get it messed up with virus and malware.  I use McAfee total protection Anti-malware bytes, but still get things when they go out to facebook or whatever.  Have you any idea how long Windows XP Pro will be suported by Microsoft and also be able to get parts for this computer from Dell ?

Thanks for your assistance.

1GB of RAM is sufficient for Windows 7, but you might be able to install 2GB. For example, I have a 2350 which is technically limited to 1GB, but 2GB of GSKILL PC3200 was accepted by the BIOS and recognized by Windows.

As for AGP cards, one of these will do you fine.

Why do you need to replace the network card? My 2350 is as old as your 4500 and it did not need a new network card to work with Windows 7.

37 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hello Charles59,

You can visit the official Microsoft Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7  site here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

There are some nice videos tutorials and steps to take when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. And yes it is true you cannot directly upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 you can take some steps to ensure a smooth process.
Thanks again and good luck!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 12:00

You would be wasting your money on win 7 for such an old computer. You might not be able to get drivers and as you know you are maxed out on RAM with 1GB. Windows 7 is so expensive--at least $110 for Home Upgrade--and you must do a clean install with XP. Just wait until you can buy new. A brand new computer with win 7 is available for $399, so why spend over $100-$200 on a computer that can't run all the features. Run the Windows Upgrade Advisor for win 7.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 19:00

You would be wasting your money on win 7 for such an old computer. You might not be able to get drivers and as you know you are maxed out on RAM with 1GB. Windows 7 is so expensive--at least $110 for Home Upgrade--and you must do a clean install with XP. Just wait until you can buy new. A brand new computer with win 7 is available for $399, so why spend over $100-$200 on a computer that can't run all the features. Run the Windows Upgrade Advisor for win 7.

There's taxes and shipping on that $399, which brings it closer to $500.

With a $45 8400GS PCI video card, the 4500 is capable of running all the features of Windows 7.

Regarding memory, if my 2350 is any indication, the 4500 can be bumped up to 2GB RAM, but whether that's needed is questionable. Drivers should all be available, apart from the onboard video, which is obsolete anyways.

1 Message

March 29th, 2010 08:00

Just discovered this community.  This is great.  I purchased Windows 7 Upgrade before realizing there is a Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to run.  In the list that is populated, it states that the Intel PRO200WL etherner adapter is not compatible.  You actually upgraded and your network card worked fine? 

I was thinking I would add the additional 1GB of RAM, get the new video card and the network card.  Do I install all of these before running the upgrade?

Thanks,

Rhon6357

1 Message

January 29th, 2012 15:00

Rhon6357

The video card and ethernet card both need to be upgraded for the windows 7 conversion...the 4500 will accept 2Gig RAM as I'm running it in my system. My ole Dell Dimension still runs great for the work that I do.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 29th, 2012 18:00

Video cards: GT 520 and 8400GS.

You might be able to find drivers for the network card. If not, this should do.

July 11th, 2012 15:00

Jumping in very late here, but I have a Dimension 4500.  I tried putting 2GB in it and it would run for a bit, then blue screen.  I settled for 1GB.  I do have WIndows 7 on it (actually I have WIndows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 on it in three separate partitions) and Windows 7 runs fine.  I found an Atheros driver for the Ethernet card, but I don't recall where.  Google found it.  I use a GeForce 4800 AGP 256M graphics card and Aero runs fine.

December 27th, 2013 15:00

You can upgrade to 2 gb of ram.  I've done it and it works just fine.  

No Events found!