Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 18:00

Dell Dimension 4550 - need advice on new video card that supports wide screen monitors

I have Dell Dimension 4550 that I bought in 2001 with Windows XP and 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra video card. This videocard does not support widescreen resolutions (the highest resolution available is 1280X1024). So when I set the resolution to the highest number, the picture on my new widescreen monitor is slightly distorted. There seem to be no drivers that I can download for this old video card that would support the widescreen resolutions/aspect ratios. I clearly need to upgrade the video card.

What video card can I purchase that will work with this computer that would support the wide screen monitors/resolutions?

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 8th, 2010 18:00

There are numerous models available, including the ATI 4XXX AGP and nVidia 8XXX and 9XXX PCI series', that not only support the higher resolutions but have HDCP support built in for playback of copy-protected media.

I installed a Sparkle 8400GS PCI in a 2350 and it worked well, not just with XP but with Windows 7, too. An XFX 4650 AGP worked as well, but has an annoying "driver not responding " issue.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2010 19:00

Sorry for the basic question, but how would I know if a particular graphics card would work with my Dell Dimension 4550? I am looking for something rather inexpensive (preferably below $40) that will simply give me the widescreen resolution. I am not a gamer. The old video card is find by me, if it was not for the resolution issue.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 9th, 2010 19:00

You can get an 8400GS for around $45 shipped. It's the most modern of the budget cards and supports widescreen resolutions. Some of the budget cards based on older chipsets may not.

No Events found!