zthunderdome
1 Copper

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 CPU upgrade

Jump to solution

Have heard that earlier 4700 had fan blow in... also overheat issues>  i reversed fan> takes like 5 min..no tools needed > just b careful .. also installed aux fan on removable sidecover screen .. use yellow+ & black- 12vdc  or  red+ & black- 5vdc  ... get or make adapter & or splitter  2 plug into  device power cable socket  ... probably  for cd/dvd drives   ... depends on what fan used > re: noise & air flow .. now puter exhausts impressive amount of heat ... i used old power supply fan > enlarged 4 holes & used screws frm ps fan > spaced fan out  less than 1/8 in w plastic washers ( milk carton & scissors & hole puncher ) very quiet  & very cool now  

0 Kudos
nerdydaddyo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Is there any way you can email the biosupdate_d4700a10.rar file versus using a host that requires purchases in order to receive it? Or maybe a YouSendIt link? Is it legitimate? I was hoping to upgrade to a P4 Cedar Mill 661 myself. Thanks.

0 Kudos
smarschany
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi. would you be able to upload photos of what the sidecover looks like?

Also trying to upgrade from 2.8 to 3.6 or 3.8, afraid of consequences from heat issues.

Thanks.

Smarschany

0 Kudos
Walt939
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Dimension 4700 CPU upgrade

Jump to solution

I was among the 4700 owners who were surprised to find the CPU fan blowing into the case rather than out.    However it's easy to find advantages for doing so:

1. Outside the case air is perhaps 30 degrees F. cooler.   That means it keeps the CPU cooler and that'll be particularly so with smaller heatsinks and higher power CPUs -- it appears a variety of both were used in the 4700 machines.

Case temperature is a much less important issue than CPU temperature.  Outside air is the best way to control CPU temp ON MACHINES THAT CONTROL THE FAN SPEED FROM THE CPU rather than from a thermistor mounted on the fan.  (In other words, if you have a machine that blows air out, don't turn that fan around unless you're sure the fan speed control is from the CPU.)

2. When all the fans blow out, the case is under suction and it pulls in air through every hole and crack; many are low on the machine.   In other words you are running a vacuum cleaner and anyone who has opened a machine that has run a couple of years knows that most of the dust that comes in, stays.   Places where dirt collects include your CPU heat sink.  This Is Not Good.  

I was amazed at how clean the inside of my (used) 4700 was, yet there were telltail signs that it had not been cleaned out.   Then I realized the CPU fan blew inward.  Not only does that mean that the case doesn't ***, the CPU fan air is taken more than 6" above the base of the machine and the air there is cleaner.  

Bottom line:  The engineering on these machines looks to this engineer to be absolutely first rate.   I would NOT reverse a fan on a machine that is as configured at the factory.  

0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If anyone still wants that modified (0F65 CPU microcode (for the Pentium 4 661 (SL9KD (D0))) and SLIC 2.1 inserted) D4700A10 BIOS then here it is.

Here is another link to it.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fa42e07beeaed08735f7359c1d36c8499bf14c57fd9587aff5943cd4f8b57900/...

SpeedStep it's not malware it's simply the D4700A10 BIOS with 2 mods/modifications - SLIC v2.1 and the 0F65 CPU microcode were inserted/replaced. It was successfully modded thanks to a few people on the mydigitallife forums some years ago. I flashed it on both of my 4700's and I've had no issues since.

I installed a Pentium 4 HT 661, 3.6 GHz (0F65h SL9KD D0) to replace the Pentium 4 HT 520, 2.8 GHz that was originally installed. For me it didn't give an alert and hang during POST with the P4 661 installed without the 0F65h CPU µcode in the BIOS but I was getting random BSOD/stop errors in XP and it stated at the bottom of all of them that the BIOS didn't contain CPU microcode for the CPU.

The Pentium 4 HT 661 (0F65h SL9KD D0) is a newer CPU (Cedar Mill (65 nm)) with a TDP of only 65 W (the earlier Cedar Mill models with B1 and C1 steppings have a TDP of 86 W) so it uses significantly less power (65 W vs 115 W) and has a lower heat output than the older 90 nm Prescott (PresHOT) CPUs. For more on that see https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Cedar_Mill & https://wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Cedar_Mill_.2865_nm.29

It'll also allow the installation and use of 64-bit Windows 10 (as well as 32-bit of course) as it supports CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF.

After this CPU is installed, a new BIOS option (may not be new to all, depending on the old CPU model - my old P4 520 didn't have the XD bit/NX bit or Intel 64/x86-64 so it was a new option in mine) should appear in the BIOS Setup under "Security" called "Execute Disable" and Execute Disable Memory Protection Technology which is also known as NX bit (No eXecute bit), XD bit (eXecute Disable bit), EDB (Execute Disabled Bit), Execute Disabled Memory Protection, EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection), XN (eXecute Never), DEP (Data Execution Prevention), and No Execute Memory Protect. Turn it On if it's Off before installing Windows 10 as it has been a hard coded requirement in Windows since the original Windows 8 was released. The factory default setting is On.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

You should only get the bios from DELL not a Malware Site.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?c=us&l=en&s=gen&driverid=R115122

https://downloads.dell.com/bios/D4700A10.EXE

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro