Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2012 16:00

Dell Dimension 5150 sigmatel driver not compatible!?

Reinstalled the OS on my Dell Dimension 5150 went to the
driver download page applicable to machine and tried to install the driver for sigmatel
audio chip but the driver would not install it said it was not compatible!?

I have installed all the other drivers in the correct sequence. However checking in device manger I note that the sound device is
listed as sigmatel high definition audio CODEC. The driver on the webpage applies
to: STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio!?

Help?

6.4K Posts

September 30th, 2012 16:00

Which operating system are you running, Windows XP or Vista?  If you are running Windows XP, the first two files to be installed must be the Desktop System Software, followed by the chipset driver.  If you missed the chipset driver, the operating system may not find the correct audio device.  Also, the page has three or four drivers available, all stating that they are compatible for Windows XP and Vista, but I note that not all of them show up on the list for both.  You might want to try clicking the link for changing the OS found at the top of the list and downloading the file from the exact page of your OS.

The STAC 92XX C Major HD Audio is correct for the integrated sound, but will not work on an add-on sound card.  Any chance you installed an audio card after receiving the computer, or perhaps ordered one from Dell?  This is easy to tell from the back of the computer.  If you are using the integrated sound you will have only one set of audio connectors.  If you definitely are using the integrated sound adapter, check System Setup (F2 during self test after starting the computer) to make certain that the sound is enabled.

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                

No Events found!