Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2009 14:00

Dell Dimension 5150 with ATI Radeon X600 256Mb problems

Hello

I hope someone can help with a problem I have got.  Recently my monitor started displaying a chequerboard effect when the screensaver comes on (Space theme with ISS above the earth).  The edges of the earth are big blocky squares but all over the display is a chequerboard effect.  Whilst playing games, for example Halo or Call of Duty, it looks like there is a centre vanishing point in the middle of the screen to which everything appears to be streaming towards, also with the chequerboard effect.

However, ordinary everyday use like this, checking emails etc is absolutely fine without any problems

Strangely, it randomly stops every couple of weeks and is fine until PC is rebooted.

The PC is 3 and half years old, and I have recently upgraded the RAM to 2GB, and the display is a 17" Dell monitor

Thank you for any help in advance:emotion-1:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 11th, 2009 07:00

I have a Dimension E510 which is identical to the 5150.  I also had that video card originally but I've since upgraded the video card and it works much better.  I have an NVIDIA 8600GT, but there are many others that will work without the need for upgrading the power supply or requiring a PCIe power connection.

Two things to try, (1) Reseat the video card (Reseat - with the PC powered off, disconnect the Video connector from the card, then open the case and remove the Video Card then reinstall making sure it's fully and correctly seated. Reconnect the Video connector, power up and see if that helps.  Also, if you have never updated the Video driver, go to the ATI site   www.ati.com and download the latest video drivers for the card (make sure you get the correct Windows Version drivers).

If neither of these suggestions help, it's probably time for a new (upgraded) video card, especially with the games you are using.

4 Posts

September 11th, 2009 11:00

Thank you very much for your response

I have tried both of these recently, as well as upgrading the system RAM, and to no avail.  It looks like I do need an update graphics card, thanks for the recommendation on the NVIDIA :emotion-2:

4 Posts

September 11th, 2009 14:00

Other than the NVIDIA 8600 are there any other cards (256Mb) that people can recommend, that don't require any upgrade to the power supply or a PCIe power connection?

I don't really know what I am looking for but ideally less than £100 if at all possible.

Thank you for the help

No Events found!