Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2008 13:00

Dell Dimension 8200... Hard Drive Failure, Do I have to get New Hard Drive From Dell?????

I believe my hard drive has failed on my Dimension 8200. I went to Staples and bought a replacement, but it didn't work. I am told by some people that Dell uses only proprietary parts, and that the bios will not recognize any other aftermarket parts. Is this true??  Do I have to buy a new hard drive from Dell?  I know this was/is true with Ram, but is it true with every component?  Thanks!

6.4K Posts

August 12th, 2008 14:00

The Dimension 8200 will use any parallel ATA (IDE) 3.5 " hard drive.  Dells do have proprietary parts, but this does not extend to things like hard drives or memory.  The most difficult thing about memory is that it is a RAMBUS machine and can use only RDRAM, which is very expensive due to its rarity.

What sort of hard drive did you purchase?  The most common type of drive on the store shelf these days is the Serial ATA (SATA) drive since that is the most common in the newer computers.  You can't install one of these in the D8200.

42 Posts

August 12th, 2008 15:00

Thanks for the the help!  Also, my Dell CD disks are either lost or broken. Will they replace them? My drivers for the Network card I cannot obtain anywhere except the internet, but how do I get the network drivers if I cannot access the internet?

If so.. how much does Dell charge for new Windows XP disks and drivers disks? Do you know?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2008 19:00

tim5ny

Dell Customers can request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system from here.

I doubt that Dell will have the Drivers and Utilities, Resources, disks for a system as old as the 8200.

You can go here and download the drivers and applications for the 8200 and burn them on a CD.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

42 Posts

August 12th, 2008 21:00

Thank you !  What exactly am I looking for in a hard drive?  I don't see any that say "IDE" or "ATA"  ...I see ones that say "SATA". Also, I don't see ones that say "Parallel"

42 Posts

August 12th, 2008 22:00

Thank you!  That hard drive looks nice! 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2008 22:00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014+1035907789&name=IDE+Ultra+ATA100

29 Posts

August 14th, 2008 15:00

i would like to inform you that if you have choosen to purchase hard drive from dell then you must have got factory installed hard drive which already has the first day installation for your sysytem with drivers.... well as per your concern check with in bios of your system that you need ide/parallel hard disk or serial ata hard disk as serial ata can not work with ide pata compatiable system {dim 8200} and you can request free cds for dell drivers and operating system.....from dell technical support and you will get it free with in 3-5 business days....
No Events found!