Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2014 18:00

Dell Dimension 8200 – Upgrade AGP Graphic Card

I know my computer is old, I am old and I do not want to toss out my 8200 that has been so reliable and a good friend.  Over the years I have upgraded the RAM (2GB), HD (Two 500GB drives installed) and updated the operating system (Now running Win XP Pro).  To give my 8200 a little more life, I want to upgrade to Windows 7.  From running he Windows 7 diagnostic tool, I need to upgrade my graphics card.  Currently, I have the two cards in my 8200 for dual monitors; 1) the original card in AGD 4x slot and 2) in one of the PCI slots.  Both cards are under 64mb. 

From review of Windows 7, I need a graphics card with at least 128 to utilize all of the graphics of the OS.  The rest of my system is OK.

So now my questions:

1)      Can I please get a recommendation for a graphics card to go in the AGP slot (preferably without a fan – just a heat sink)

2)      Can I run two monitors off the one (new graphics card that I install or should I also replace the graphics card in the PCI slot as well.

Thanks for all the help…. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 30th, 2014 20:00

I suggest a Zotac GT 610 PCI, as its GPU will accelerate video while that of the AMD product will not. You can run two or three monitors off of it.

You can also supercharge the 8200's performance with an SSD, which sometimes come on sale at under $70 (and can be moved to a new PC should one be acquired).

1.5K Posts

January 30th, 2014 19:00

Your best bet is to pull both cards out and just get the PCI HD 5450 HERE.  It will run two monitors.  I would not bother with any older AGP cards today.  

11 Posts

January 30th, 2014 20:00

Just looked at the card, great suggestion.  One question:  When I see the description of the card, it indicates “Low Profile”, but I thought the 8200 has a full profile.  Thanks again for the help.

11 Posts

January 30th, 2014 21:00

Just looked at the pictures of both products - they both come with a Low Profile template that you can change out, so my error.  Thanks so much for the help.  I will let you know how it goes. 

11 Posts

February 6th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for all the help with my 8200.  I am now interested in the SSD option you suggested as I will need to do a full installation of Windows 7 wen I move from XP.  In addition to the SSD, what other hardware will I need?  Do I run off the IDE cable with a SATA converter or an ATA card?  Can I run a SSD drive and a HDD (i currently have two HD in my 8200)?  Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 6th, 2014 11:00

I suggest a SATA card like the Syba 150R. (You may have to flash the BIOS on this one.)

11 Posts

February 8th, 2014 07:00

Just read up on flashing the BIOS - it scars me.... What new BIOS should be installed and where do I get the file/instructions?  Thanks

11 Posts

February 8th, 2014 17:00

Thanks so much for your help.  Got the new HIS card and installed, and pulled the old AGP and PCI video cards.  Problem: Now I can see BIOS startup anymore.  From trouble shooting, it lo0ks like the 8200 really wants the AGP card installed or it will not boot correctly.  Do you have any recomendations to disable the AGP slot so that the new HIS card is the default garfics card?  Thanks again for teh help.

No Events found!