JBirdzz
1 Copper

Dell Dimension 8300 video card upgrade question.

I would like to upgrade my video card so that I can play modern games such as Civ5 and play Netflix streaming online movies without jerky motion.  My current card is a 128MB NVidia GeForce FX 5200.  According to the docs, my computer has either a 250w or a 305w power supply.  Can I find out which I have from my service tag number <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag number removed per privacy policy>

The  support  parts list for this number which Dell provides online doesn't list power supply information.  If I have the 250w, I can upgrade to the GeForce 7600GT.  If the 305w, I can upgrade to the 7950GT.  I think my computer can only take AGP graphics cards.

I purchased this computer in August 2003.  It has 1GB ram at 2.6 Ghz. Will  either of the two upgrade  video cards listed above give me the additional performance I need?  Or should I be thinking of adding an additional aftermarket power supply of some sort so I can get a better performing video card?  Or should I be thinking that its time to buy a new computer?

I don't know much about computer hardware, so any advice you'd like to offer will be appreciated.    

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rdunnill
5 Iridium

Re: Dell Dimension 8300 video card upgrade question.

The best video cards available for the AGP platform today are the ATI 4XXX models. XFX has a nice single-slot 4650 AGP model available which I used successfully in an Athlon 2600+ AGP 8X machine; your results may vary.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

A Radeon 4650 Agp  would be my suggestion.

XFX Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 AGP 8X Graphics Card : Desktop ... <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

XFX Radeon HD 4650 1GB

Video Memory:      1GB

Memory Type:      DDR2

Memory Interface:      128-bit

Stream Processors:      320

Core Clock:      600 MHz

Memory Clock:      800 MHz

Interface Type:      AGP

Interface Speed:      8X

Connector(s):      Dual DVI
          HDTV/S-Video

Multiple Monitors Support:      Yes

Max. Monitors Supported:      2

Overclocked:      No

APIs:      DirectX 10.1
          Shader Model 4.1

Manufacturer Part# : HD465XZPF2
Dell Part# : A2950483

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JBirdzz
1 Copper

I think the Radeon 4650 is too powerful for my older model computer.  I see from the 4650 specs that it requires a minimum 400w power supply.  I found out that mine is only 250w.  Also I've heard that the motherboard in the Dimension 8300 cannot take advantge of 1 GB of video ram, or even 512 mb. I was thinking of the GeForce 7600GT as I read that the card only pulls 200w.  But that would only leave me 50w to run the rest of the computer!  I've since learned that NVidia recomends a minimum of 350w power supply providing 22-26 amps for the 7600GT... so it seems that even this card is too much for my computer.  The only card I've found so far that is OK with my 250w power supply is the one that's already in it.  What's in it is a 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200.  Because of the low power supply, it may not be possibible for me to upgrade the video card in my computer. 

0 Kudos