Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2012 01:00

Dell Dimension 9100 (2005) HDD and Boot problems

My original 2x160 GB SATA HDD set up crashed (blue screen) and I could not make it work. So I removed both HDDs and bought a new WD 1TB SATA HDD and clean installed Windows XP Pro, but without setting up RAID, downloaded the drivers and it works fine. I have two problems:

1. The network drivers I downloaded from Dell do not work and the wireless WiFi does not work.

2. When I insert the original 160GB HDD (which I thought were going to be slaves), the boot sequence goes to RAID and reads the old 160GB HDD for booting from, and of course it reports "failed"

Please, what do I need to do in the BIOS setup in order that Windows boots from the new WD so that I can read and recover data from the other 2 160GB HDDs? And which network driver should I download?

Many thanks!! (in advance..)

1.8K Posts

December 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi KenyaCragrat,

Check BIOS of your computer and change the SATA operations to AHCI/RAID Autodetect.

You can follow the steps below:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Navigate to 'SATA Operations' -- > Hit Enter -- > Change Option to AHCI/RAID Autodetect -- > Save changes -- > Restart your computer.

(Click on image for enlarged view) 

If you check the motherboard, there are SATA 0,1,2,3 ports. The drive connected to SATA 0 port will be considered as the primary drive. You can check the motherboard image below for more information:

(Click on image for enlarged view) 

For issues pertaining to Internet, you can update the Ethernet driver from the link: http://dell.to/Uqc3DP and driver for Dell Wireless 1450 (802.11a/b/g) USB2.0 Adapter from link: http://dell.to/12TaQs7 

Steps to download drivers:

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Double click and follow the prompts on screen to complete installation. 
  • Restart your computer. 

Please reply for further clarifications.

December 28th, 2012 03:00

Wow, that was a quick answer- many thanks! Unfortunately I followd your instructions and it did not work. Firstly let me clarify that SATA 0 is the socket on the top left, as shown?

The messages are as follows:

Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0

Drive 3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA -3

Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA,PARA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)

etc, etc, then:

RAID Volumes:

0       ARRAY      RAID0(stripe)     128kb        298GB   Failed        No

Physical Drives:

1   ST 316****** etc               149 GB     Member Disk (0)

2. WDC******* etc                   931GB       Non-RAID Disk

Strike F1 or F2, etc.....

Please can you suggest what I can try next?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 28th, 2012 09:00

You might try pressing F12 at bootup time, which should present you with a boot device menu; select the new WD hard drive and you should be on your way.

Another solution might be the Acronis TrueImage drive imaging software, which is furnished with a bootable DVD, but I don't know if it will work with a defective source drive.

January 2nd, 2013 08:00

Thanks, I tried that but every time I stick in the old drives, the boot sequence goes to RAID and then reports failure- as soon as I remove the old HDDs, then it boots fine from the new WD HDD. What else can I try, please?

No Events found!