Highlighted
Rav96
1 Copper

Dell Dimension 9200. Amber light blinks. Power disconnect day+ it works but shutdown and it will not work unless unplugged for a day

Jump to solution

Amber light blinks and no status indicators on the front panel next to USB ports. (see amber light on mother board, holding power button 15sec+ it goes away but the computer wont start, some times the fan is on couple seconds), initially it used to go in cycle (starts for about 3-5 sec and shuts down) few times and the blinking amber light come on.

If I disconnect the power cord for a day+ and try, it worked, shutdown and restart immediately worked too but when I shutdown and come back after few hours it will not boot again (power plugged in).
Disconnecting the power for a day+ again and tried it worked once.

I did the reset by holding the power button 15sec+ but no luck. Waiting a day+ unplugged worked so far about three times will try tomorrow again and see what happens if I don't shutdown the computer ever.

Is this a PSU or motherboard problem or some other problem? Hope it can be fixed.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Platinum

RE: Dell Dimension 9200. Amber light blinks. Power disconnect day+ it works but shutdown and it will not work unless unplugged for a day

Jump to solution

Amber light blinks and no status indicators on the front panel next to USB ports. (see amber light on mother board, holding power button 15sec+ it goes away but the computer wont start, some times the fan is on couple seconds), initially it used to go in cycle (starts for about 3-5 sec and shuts down) few times and the blinking amber light come on.

If I disconnect the power cord for a day+ and try, it worked, shutdown and restart immediately worked too but when I shutdown and come back after few hours it will not boot again (power plugged in).
Disconnecting the power for a day+ again and tried it worked once.

I did the reset by holding the power button 15sec+ but no luck. Waiting a day+ unplugged worked so far about three times will try tomorrow again and see what happens if I don't shutdown the computer ever.

Is this a PSU or motherboard problem or some other problem? Hope it can be fixed.

Rav96

A blinking amber power LED, usually indicates a power supply issue, given the age of the Dimension 9200, that is highly likely.

Try replacing the power supply with a 'Known' working power supply, to see if this makes a difference.

This system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

Or, you can buy a Dell OEM [Dell P/N KH624] 375w refurbished power supply from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Dimension-Power-Supply-KH624/dp/B0039OHV2O

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Rav96
1 Copper

RE: Dell Dimension 9200. Amber light blinks. Power disconnect day+ it works but shutdown and it will not work unless unplugged for a day

Jump to solution

@shesagordie. Thanks.

It worked without any changes but unfortunately got stuck during windows update process and then disk got corrupted. Tried multiple times os installing and nothing worked during installation but before I fixed that issue,  the first problem of blinking amber light started again after working 10's of times without issue.

0 Kudos