Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2010 13:00

Dell Dimension E521 Post Error

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension E521.  I replaced some of the parts including the hard drive (so the hard drive is completely blank).  I started up my computer today, and it recognizes my usb keyboard at startup but regardless of what I click (F2 for setup, F12 for bootmenu) the screen says the following:

"MediaShield ROM BIOS 6.88

Copyright (C) 2006 NVIDIA Corp.

Detecting array ...

SATA timeout on port SATA0"

When I plug a different data cable into the hard drive it says "SATA timeout on port SATA1" instead of SATA0.  I am assuming because of this that this has something to do with the hard drive.  It might be relevant that I am using a 320GB SATA 5400rpm laptop hard drive (2.5" but all the connections fit).  It should also be noted that when I press F2 for setup, it gets highlighted and goes to the aforementioned screen, but when I press F12 for bootmenu, nothing highlights and it again goes to the above screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2010 13:00

jdsoohoo

Quote:

"I have a Dell Dimension E521.  I replaced some of the parts including the hard drive (so the hard drive is completely blank).  I started up my computer today, and it recognizes my usb keyboard at startup but regardless of what I click (F2 for setup, F12 for bootmenu) the screen says the following"

Have you reinstalled Windows and loaded the drivers?

It might be relevant that I am using a 320GB SATA 5400rpm laptop hard drive (2.5" but all the connections fit).  

The Dimension e521 supports internal 3.5" SATA, 7200rpm hard drives, similar to THIS

Curious, but how did you manage to install a 2.5" Laptop drive in a Dimension e521?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2010 14:00

John.

You are right, the 2.5" SATA hard drive should work.

Have you connected the hard drive's SATA data cable to the SATA 0 connector on the motherboard?

If you have, is the drive recognized in the system setup?

For the motherboard details and the e521 Service Manual, go  HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

6 Posts

In addition, I have this hard drive currently installed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

John.

To enter the System Setup, turn on (or restart) your computer and when the DELL logo appears, press immediately.

Details of the System Setup are included in the link, I've already posted.

Scroll down to 'Drives'.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

In addition, I have this hard drive currently installed.

John.

The SATA hard drive you trying to install, is it the primary C: / drive, or are you trying to install an additional hard drive, to an exsisting hard drive?

Bev.

6 Posts

Have you reinstalled Windows and loaded the drivers?

Well right now I am trying to install a windows OS, but I can't access the boot menu no matter what I do.  There is no operating system on the hard drive at the moment, but I have a CD with an image and also the original OS cd that came with the computer.

The Dimension e521 supports internal 3.5" SATA, 7200rpm hard drives, similar to THIS

Bev.

I looked at the service manual for the Dimension E521 and I am pretty sure I have it connected right.  I built a makeshift system that uses slight tension to keep the 2.5" hard drive stationary (screwed into the sides of the hard drive) in the large 3.5" slot.  I read that laptop hard drives can work inside desktops.  Are the people I read this from mistaken?  If so, why wouldn't they work (same connections)?

John

6 Posts

Oh.  I cannot get into "System Setup" or the "Boot Menu".  The only screen that shows up is the one stated in my original post.  

It should also be noted that when I press F2 for setup, it gets highlighted and goes to the aforementioned screen, but when I press F12 for bootmenu, nothing highlights and it again goes to the above screen.

"Aforementioned" and "above" screen both mean the error message after the DELL logo screen below:

MediaShield ROM BIOS 6.88

Copyright (C) 2006 NVIDIA Corp.

Detecting array ...

SATA timeout on port SATA0

John

6 Posts

Bev,

Yes, when I connect the hard drive's SATA data cable to the SATA0 connector on the motherboard, I get "SATA timeout on port SATA0", and when I attach it to the SATA1 connector on the motherboard, I get "SATA timeout on port SATA1".

I am not sure if this means that the drive is recognized at startup or not.  When I press the power button all I see is the dell loading bar and then it switches to the the screen I stated in my original post.

John

And yes I am trying to install it as my primary drive.  I might get a second one later, but I wanted to make sure this works first.  I left the processor as-is, replaced with 2gb of ram, added a graphics card to the pci express x16 slot, and the hard drive I mentioned.  So everything should be blank I think (all new).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2010 15:00

John.

Excellent, happy to hear that you found the solution to the issues.  :emotion-2:

Bev.

6 Posts

August 31st, 2010 15:00

UPDATE: I figured it out finally.  It was a weird RAID thing.  I connected it to my SATA3 port and since it doesnt search for the RAID controller or whatever it went through!  Thanks for your help Bev.

John

No Events found!