Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

August 22nd, 2000 18:00

Dell Dimension L

3 Questions:
First, how many expansion slots does this computer have (I ask because I have a hard drive from my old computer that I need to install in the new computer I buy).
Second, this old hard drive is set to master, it cannot be a slave. Since the hard drive that will come with this computer will also be set to master, can I swap the master on the secondary cable (either the floppy drive or the CD ROM) to a slave so that my old hard drive can be the master?
Third, will I be able to upgrade the RAM from 64 MB to 128MB or more in the future, or am I locked in to a maximum of 64MB?
Thank you.

185 Posts

August 22nd, 2000 19:00

Not sure about the HD, but if you post in the Hard Drive forum I am sure you will get a few responces.

As far as the memory goes, you have 2 Dimm slots and can upgrade to 512 megs of SDRAM. IE two 256 meg Dimms.

Have a Good One...

Ron

1.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2000 20:00

e_corridor wrote:

- First, how many expansion slots does this computer
- have

This system has 3 PCI slots (click here). It has one 5¼" external drive bay, one 3½" external drive bay, one bay which is used for the floppy drive, and one 3½" internal hard drive bay (click here).

- (I ask because I have a hard drive from my old
- computer that I need to install in the new computer
- I buy).

There is only one internal hard drive bay. If you need to run two hard drives, I do not recommend this system.

- Second, this old hard drive is set to master, it
- cannot be a slave. Since the hard drive that will
- come with this computer will also be set to master,
- can I swap the master on the secondary cable (either
- the floppy drive or the CD ROM) to a slave so that
- my old hard drive can be the master?

Hard drives are strongly recommended to stay on the primary IDE channel. You can set the new hard drive to slave. Jumper settings can be found here once you know which hard drive you get.

- Third, will I be able to upgrade the RAM from 64 MB
- to 128MB or more in the future, or am I locked in to
- a maximum of 64MB?

You can find memory specifications for your system here. Essentially, yes the system can be upgraded.

August 23rd, 2000 22:00

Can a video card be added to this system, one that would support the 19" Trinitron monitor?

If yes, would it take one of the three PCI slots, or is there an AGP slot for that?
No Events found!