Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 2nd, 2008 01:00

Dell Dimension Upgrade

Hi ! I have a dimension 2350 desktop which I mainly use for web browsing. It is running okay, however it is slow loading images and videos. I have optimized windows XP, removed all spyware, malware, played with browser cache size, ect and the system has enough memory.

When I open windows task manager / performance window I see the CPU is maxed out at 100 percent while info is loading on firefox/IE and once the page is completely opened it drops back to 10 percent; or so. So I am unsure if I would be better off with a CPU or video card upgrade ?

The machine currently has a celeron 2.0 GHZ processor and the motherboard could be upgraded up to a 2.6 GHz P4 (nothing faster than this is compatable) for about $80.00. Also, the video card is onboard intel with 64Mb memory. This can be disabled in bios and a PCI video card can be installed.

I am not going to invest the time to upgrade the motherboard since the machine is too old. Anyhow, can you advise which is the best option ?

Also would a new video card put additional demand on the already sluggish celeron CPU, or does the card have an onboard processor that would negate this issue ?

Thanks in Advance SD

Message Edited by delistehsux on 01-02-2008 05:56 AM

Message Edited by delistehsux on 01-02-2008 05:58 AM

22 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 03:00

Also, I should mention I tried reducing video resolution settings with no effect..

I see a Geforce fx5200 at tiger for 55.00 I may pick up if this will help alleviate my problem.

Message Edited by delistehsux on 01-02-2008 05:55 AM

693 Posts

Video cards do have onboard processors. This is what they're for. However, most of the stuff in Windows is done by the CPU.

CPU upgrades are usually not very cost effective. I'd ONLY recommend that one in your situation if ALL of the following three conditions were met.

1. That Celeron was a Williamette.
2. You can get the upgrade REAL cheap (I got my CPU a half a year back for $40 before shipping to give an idea).
3. You play games.

Then it may be worth it.

That introduces something else. If you game, you'd be better off with a video card anyway. To be truthful, the extra RAM the onboard video uses is nothing you'll notice if you have enough (as you say you do).

General answer is that a video card would do more, but though dated and slow, the internet and files shouldn't be slow due to that CPU, so I'd start to think there was possibly another problem.

When it goes back to 10% afterwards, what is using it? My CPU (with Winamp running and Firefox open) is idling at 0%-1%. My PIII would idle around 4% maximum. Sounds like something is taking a little of your CPU.

Another member called SR45 has good optimation tips for these sorts of situations to try and help speed. Maybe he'll post it since I can't seem to find it offhand.

22 Posts

Okay thanks for the quick reply, I looked at the problem a little closer to give you a feel for what is going on. I only use this machine for internet, no gaming, so really I don't need too much horsepower.

Anyhow, the largest lag seems to occur when I view youtube video.

1. When I play the video it typically takes 60 to 80% of cpu usage. The browser (IE or FF) is the task using all the resources.

2. Downloading the video with player paused only uses about 15% of cpu usage.

3. Playing youtube video while downloading simultaneously causes cpu to max at 100% and video to freeze quite a bit.

4. After download is completed playing youtube video in full screen mode again causes cpu to max out at 100% and gets jittery.

5. Oddly, playing mpg video with windows mediaplayer in full screen mode only causes cpu to use 10% of available resources..

In all cases physical memory usage is less than 300Mb (machine has 625Mb) so not an issue. If anyone can comment on upgrade or tweeking I would very much appreciate it. thanks.

Message Edited by delistehsux on 01-02-2008 05:50 AM

Message Edited by delistehsux on 01-02-2008 05:58 AM

693 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 15:00

Hmm, it does sound like the CPU is too slow. Media can be CPU intensive. I just tested a video on the site for reference and got between 10% and 15% CPU usage. If you can find a P4 for cheap, that might be able to help. The Williamette and Northwood Celerons had only 128k of L2 cache (The PIII had twice that, and this low L2 cache is the main difference between a Celeron and P4). Celeron's aren't good for games, so they probably don't shine in media either. The Netburst architecture is already dependant on cache and FSB as it is, so the early and low-ended models were especially bad.

A video upgrade probably wouldn't help much. Most programs use the CPU for video. A video card may make the system a little smoother/effecient as it frees some RAM, but it sounds like the high usage is simply becuase the CPU is at it's limits.

The Dimension 2350 needs a CPU that is socket 478 and has a 400MHz FSB. It can't be a Prescott core (Precott P4 or Celeron D). The maximum your PC can take is a 2.8GHz P4 with 400MHz FSB, but expect those to be a little rare and expensive. If you can find one cheap, it sounds like your best bet aside from a new PC. It sounds like the old Celeron just can't handle much.

Here's a few cheap ones if you wouldn't mind eBay.

Link
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

1 Message

January 3rd, 2008 18:00

Thanks Bob for the reply, I already ordered a new video card from newegg, at the recommendation of SR45 on the other board.

Checking on Ebay, I am not sure if the P4 will be a big improvement vs. celeron as the clock speed is approx the same, so I will hold off on that.

Message Edited by happyclam on 01-03-2008 03:08 PM
No Events found!