Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 8th, 2008 18:00

Dell Dimension XPS T600

I have a DEll XPS T600 and want to upgrade from 128m mb SDRAM to 1 or 2 gb SDRAM memory.  Can I do this and what  do I need. I am running Windows XP professional upgraded from Windows 98 second edition. Dell tech support only could tell me that this model is listed to upgrade to 3DIMM of SDRAM, size 256 MB.

Thanks

Andrew

501 Posts

March 8th, 2008 18:00

Andrew,

Dell tech support is correct. The maximum memory for your system is 768 MB (3-256 MB sticks). You can find your system specifications here .

Warren

3 Posts

March 8th, 2008 22:00

Warren,

Thanks for your quick reply. One last question if you don't mind. If I add three 256 mb strips with my upgraded Windows XP system, will my computer operate properly, that is will I trigger any other problems by adding the increased memory sticks? Will my clock speed and other factors be sufficient so that I can simultaneously run an antivirus software while navigating on the internet? Presently, with 128 MB, running new antivirus software paralyzes my computer.

Thanks again.

Andrew

9.4K Posts

March 9th, 2008 16:00

Warren,

After the new memory is added your system will detect it automatically and configure itself accordingly. 

Since your system is severely memory deficient right now running Windows XP with 128 megs, any memory you add will be an improvement.  Whether it will totally resolve the problems you are having with surfing the Internet and your antivirus it is difficult to say.  I have a XPS T model that's been upgraded to a 1 gig Pentium III processor along with 384 megs of RAM.  With Windows XP Pro I use the latest version of Symantec's antivirus on the system.  I also make a point of watching which applications try to load at startup and have remove everything that is unnecessary.  The machine isn't a speed demon and having two applications open on screen is just about the limit.  I suspect that you will see similar results.    

501 Posts

March 9th, 2008 16:00

Message Edited by Warren H. on 03-09-2008 01:08 PM

3 Posts

March 9th, 2008 22:00

Warren,

Thanks again for interest and help. Does it matter what the manufacturer of the memory strip is? I have located some from Memory America that are half the price of Best Buy which sells PNY memory strips. Memory America is selling a 256 mb SDRAM,  PC100(ECC) for $26 vs. $55. Are they all the same?

Andrew

No Events found!