Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 14th, 2011 06:00

Dell Dimensions 3000-USB devices problem

My OS is Windows XP SP3.  I'm having a problem with being able to use USB connected devices (printer, and now newly purchased hard drive back-up).  I've done a million things (it seems), but haven't been able to resolve the problem.  I've looked at forum discussions, too.

I ran the 32 bit diagnostics (Boot to Utility Partition) and got the following report on Parallel Port 1:

Parallel Port 1 - Printer Pattern Test - failed - Error Code 3D 00:0421.  Msg.:  timeout error waiting for printer - Status Error (3000h).

Parallel Port 1 - External Interrupt Test - failed -  Error Code 3D 00:032

Best way I know to do this is to give a brief history of things I've done:  the problem started after I moved my computer to another location in the house (vacuumed dust, etc. from the outside of the tower and through the vent holes in the front of the tower & back where the fan is).  I installed a Belkin adapter & a wireless router so I could get wireless internet.  Then when I turned my printer on (Epson Stylus NX400 - cable operation only - no wireless capability), the icon for the wireless connection would disappear from the tray and I'd lose internet.  The only way I could get internet back was to uninstall & reinstall both the router & adapter.  Every time I turned the printer on, the same thing would happen.  Eventually, I plugged the printer into a different USB port.  That resolved the problem with losing my wireless, but then the printer didn't work properly (would start to print, stop, start, stop...).  After researching this problem I uninstalled the printer software and tried to reinstall it.  It appears that the driver will not install - when the install is proceeding, it tells me to plug the cable into the printer & into a computer USB port.  The installer program eventually says that it can't detect the printer.  I thought this was a problem with the printer.  But, I just purchased a WD (Passport Essential) portable driver to back up my desktop hard drive.  It has no installation disc.  When I plut it into a USB port, the light comes on but nothing happens.  Device Manager recognizes it, searches and then says that the device can't be installed because there's no software for it.

I have done everything that I can think of to do.  Can anyone help me with this?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 14th, 2011 07:00

It would appear the Belkin adapter is the root of the problem, as it apparently worked until you installed this.  I don't see, in your description, that you ever uninstalled/removed the Belkin adapter to see if the printer would work.  The Belkin may work OK, but I don't recommend Belkin to my clients as I've run into too many problems with Belkin products.

Another issue with SOME USB devices, if they are not "stopped" using the Safely Remove Hardware function (in the Sys Tray) when you reconnect it, there is a corruption in Windows and the device will not work.  Usually, in these cases if you connect the device and then to to the Device Manager there will be an unknown device listed in the USB section.  With the device (e.g. printer) still connected, RIGHT click on the entry for the unknown device and then LEFT click "uninstall".  Physically disconnect the device and restart the PC.  After Windows starts connect the device and Windows should "find new hardware" and install it and restore operation. 

If the Belkin unit is not also the problem with the WD Passport device, Is this device listed as XP compatible?   Check with WD to see if there is an XP driver.

7 Posts

November 14th, 2011 17:00

I tried what you suggested - uninstalled Belkin router & adapter, disabled or uninstalled all USB devices.  Tried installing my printer - same result.  Doesn't detect the printer after plugging the cable in.  Tried it in two separate USB ports.

7 Posts

November 14th, 2011 17:00

Don't know if I replied correctly, so I'm trying again . . . I tried what you suggested - uninstalled Belkin router & adapter, disabled or uninstalled all USB devices.  Tried installing my printer - same result.  Doesn't detect the printer after plugging the cable in.  Tried it in two separate USB ports.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 15th, 2011 03:00

Did you physically remove the Belkin adapter?  If not, give that a try.

7 Posts

November 15th, 2011 04:00

Yes, I removed the software and unplugged the adapter from the USB port.  It's very frustrating . . . the problem started after I installed Belkin, but it's not easy to determine whether that was coincidental.  And, the fact that the WD portable hard drive doesn't work either makes me wonder.

Do you think the error messages I posted from the 32 bit diagnostic indicates anything in particular?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 15th, 2011 04:00

Parallel Port errors wouldn't have anything to do with the USB.  Those errors could be because nothing is connected to it.

One issue with USB ports, there is only a certain amount of power avialable to all devices that are connected to USB and if that power is exceeded there can be devices that do not work.  Normally, there is not permanent damage if the power is exceeded.  

Have you tried both front and rear USB ports?  We have seen instances where it won't work in for example a front port but will in a rear or work in front and not rear.

No Events found!