Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2011 12:00

Dell GX620 Upgrade

Hello,

I have a six-year-old Dell Optiplex GX620 with an internal Hitachi 80GB hard drive and 1GB RAM (four slots with two slots of 0.5GB) running the latest version of Windows XP.

It's performed flawlessly for its entire life but things are slowing down a bit, particularly when opening programs.  I've done all the usual things -- uninstalled programs, eliminated most startup programs, defragged, etc.

What I'd like to do is increase the RAM to 2 or 4GB and swap the hard drive for a faster and larger one and reinstall Windows XP.

Would anyone know what the maximum size (GBs) hard drive for the Optiplex would be?

Also, could you recommend a reliable, fast hard drive and some reliable RAM?

Many thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 16th, 2011 13:00

I would stay away from the Seagate SATA Drives due to a CLICKING problem that has not been resolved to my satisfaction.

The Caviar Green Series is available in many places.  The Cost of Hard Drives keeps going up and up and up due to flooding in Thailand.

I expect the cost to be 400 percent higher by the time christmas rolls around.

You can use a Drive Wire to Clone your old to new.

APRICORN DriveWire IDE/PATA/SATA to USB Hard Drive Adapter - Dell

No Enclosure - Fits All Hard Drives, Desktop Drives Too!

No Enclosure - Fits All Hard Drives, Desktop Drives Too!

You won't need to buy a different enclosure for every Hard Drive or worry about whether or not you have enough power through your USB ports run the device. Because DriveWire is guaranteed to safely provide all the power you need and it is compatible with all of today's 2.5, 3.5 IDE/PATA or SATA Hard Drives. When you combine DriveWire with Apricorn's Upgrade Suite you will have the perfect solution to upgrade the hard drive on all of today's most popular desktop and notebook computers. 

Max Size is 2 Terabytes. Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN ... - Newegg

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 4
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Recommended Upgrade

part image

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 16th, 2011 14:00

I would not recommend the seagate drives due to their click click click every minute or so.

Seagate recommended updating the firmware on the drive which I did but it did not help.

:emotion-3:

new 1.5Tb freeagent drive making a loud clicking n... - Page 5 ...

New Seagate Barracude 1tb 7200 accessing every second/noise‎ - Sep 17, 2011

Thread Seagate firmware updates for correction of audible ...

"seagate drive clicks every few seconds"

872 Posts

872 Posts

No Events found!