Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 02:00

Dell Inspirion 570 AMD Phenom Questions

Hello, I have read on these forums that the upgrade was possible from an AMD Athlon 3.0 to a AMD Phenom 3.4.

I have no intentions of overclocking and have already upgraded my computer case to a gaming computer case with many fans and also have upgraded my graphics card to an NVIDIA 8800 GTS.

I only play games like StarCraft 2 and World of WarCraft and I am looking into streaming these games to Twtich.tv.

The question I have regarding this upgrade is if I would have to remove the black plate at all... I don't want to get all in my system and having to reinstall everything just for the cpu. All I want to do is replace the cpu and put the stock cooler in there. So I am wondering if this would be possible. Please reply ASAP as my processor comes in 3 to 4 days.

Thank you in advance~

5 Posts

February 7th, 2013 03:00

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name KARL-PC

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Inspiron 570

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A05, 12/20/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name Karl-PC\Karl

Time Zone Korea Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 3.01 GB

Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 8.08 GB

Page File Space 6.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Hardware Resources]

(Running latest version of Bios)

And what I am referring to is the motherboard back plate. I know I can put the CPU in but I was wondering if I don't need to replace the back plate to install the stock CPU cooler that the AMD Phenom comes with.

2.2K Posts

February 7th, 2013 03:00

Hi HaruKimchi,

Welcome to the Community.

Please let me know what exactly you are referring to by black plate.

If you are referring to the system board, I would like to inform that it is not required to be removed.

You may refer to the manual by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://bit.ly/TZMiId

Also, please update the BIOS before upgrading the processor. Please click the link mentioned below which will take you to the drivers website:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Enter the Service Tag of the computer and choose the Operating System installed on the computer. Please update the latest version of BIOS available.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

February 7th, 2013 06:00

I'm sorry but you still haven't really answered my question... I was wondering if I would have to remove the back plate when I install the new processor and the fan that came with it as I have read on this forum that you have to do it but for different CPU coolers.

2.2K Posts

February 7th, 2013 06:00

Hi HaruKimchi,

Thank you for the reply.

You can install either of the heat sink and fan assembly after the processor upgrade. It is advisable that you install the heat sink and fan assembly that comes along with the new processor.

Note: We don't recommend processor or motherboard upgrades on our system. Any damage caused to the system while performing the same would not be covered under the warranty terms and conditions.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

23 Posts

February 7th, 2013 07:00

I must confess, that after reading this thread, I am a bit confused.  I recently upgraded my XPS 7100 from an Athlon to a Phenom and have no idea what the "back plate" is.  I simply removed the old heat sink and CPU and replaced with the new CPU and the heat sink that came with it, (using a good quality thermal paste between the sink and the CPU).  That was it.  Booted up and everything was good to go.

I would recommend you upgrade your A05 BIOS to A06 prior to swapping out the old CPU.

893 Posts

February 7th, 2013 10:00

And here I come!:emotion-14:

Upgrade to Phenom II x4 965 BE, this is your goal? If yes, upgrade in cooling is required, it is a MUST, or you will cook your processor and motherboard, there is no other way, original cooler, or the one which comes with 965 is both weak and not good, 965 AMD cooler was reported to be noisy as well.

Next. There is one confirmed way to do so - removing motherboard backplate, and there is another not confirmed way to do so, in this case you might waste $2 plus shipping, but if it fails you would have no chance but to remove backplate after all. I strongly suspect that $2 way will work, but no one actually tried it yet, that is all. If overclock is desired after 965 installation, back plate removal is very advisable to improve cooling. Also, $2 way would be most likely OK for smaller size coolers, not so heavy ones, I have almost 900 gram cooler and I had to remove back plate, not a big deal for new users since I created nice guide on this matter.

So?

893 Posts

February 7th, 2013 11:00

I must confess, that after reading this thread, I am a bit confused.  I recently upgraded my XPS 7100 from an Athlon to a Phenom and have no idea what the "back plate" is.  I simply removed the old heat sink and CPU and replaced with the new CPU and the heat sink that came with it, (using a good quality thermal paste between the sink and the CPU).  That was it.  Booted up and everything was good to go.

I would recommend you upgrade your A05 BIOS to A06 prior to swapping out the old CPU.

You forgot DMZX, you have Phenom 1045 - 95 watt TDP, Phenom II x4 965 BE is 125 watt TDP, 30 watt difference, this is very significant in cooling. 95 watt can be cooled down by stock AMD, however the same stock AMD can not cool 965 (I have AMD cooler, it is looks cheap and may be the same as yours).

Just FYI.

893 Posts

February 7th, 2013 12:00

Also, it is still winter, cooler temps, when hot summer comes you will see 10C temp rise, also your case is much larger than Inspiron so more air space, and you did not check you MOBO temps yet, I bet, they much higher than CPU, so you still have opportunity to fry your motherboard! Get OCCT run test and post the picture, you will see then.

23 Posts

February 7th, 2013 12:00

It is true, more watts = more heat.  And after a bit of Google research I now understand the "backplate" question.

BTW, the AMD heat sink that came with my Phenom, was significantly smaller than the one that was attached to my Athlon.  I was a bit concerned, but after monitoring temps (idle - 21-22 C, under BF3 load 40-42 C) my worries were unfounded.  

5 Posts

February 7th, 2013 14:00

So I it still advisable if I upgrade my CPU cooler when I have 8 fans on my pc that give it a constant airflow? And I can't get a CPU cooler as I have already bought the CPU and shipping paid and it is expensive as I live in South Korea and a student. So for now all I can do is install the cooler that came with the phenom and the question was of I can install the phenom cooler without having the back plate removed as I have no time to pull everything out and reinstall.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2013 15:00

I choose to simply install it over the back plate and later in the future when I do a huge upgrade of the system I will remove the back plate and I have already red your tutorial on how to remove the back plate.

893 Posts

February 7th, 2013 15:00

You can install Phenom II x4 with any cooler, including original, however it runs very hot and it is very beneficial to have cooling upgrades. Since you located over the ocean and shipping from here will cost you $$$, would you able to buy CPU coolers domestically and save time and money? You can not place AMD stock cooler since mounting is designed for standard AMD motherboard, Dell however has Intel LGA775 mounting, so you cannot attach AMD stock cooler.

In order to attach to Dell MOBO any cooler, back plate must be removed. DMZX comments were inappropriate since his XPS 7100 has AMD standard CPU cooler mountings, and Inspiron 570 is not.

This is Inspiron 570 motherboard

In order to attach CPU cooler you have to use screws, AMD standard is big clip.

This is how XPS 7100 motherboard looks like (inside the case)

Above you see standard AMD attachment device, so DMZX did not have any problems attaching his Phenom cooler to it.

In order to attach something to our MOBO you have 2 choices, first you can order screw set from America for $2 USD and who knows the shipping costs and shipping time, or I can provide instructions on removal of back plate, it will take you about 2 hours, and after this you can purchase good cooler locally and have it installed much sooner.

What is your choice. I will help you in both ways.

893 Posts

February 7th, 2013 18:00

In this case you can use only your original CPU cooler which is rated for 65 watt, Phenom II X4 965 BE is rated for 125 watt, you will melt both processor and motherboard. AMD cooler, just take a look on it and tell me how you  are planning to connect to your MOBO (first picture).

So?

No Events found!