Highlighted
danaustin1975
1 Copper

Dell Inspirion Sound Hiss While Recording

If anyone has any idea what the problem is with my pc, I'd be very grateful to hear.

I bought this computer from Dell in 2007:

Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspirion 531
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System Type: 32 bit Operating System
SoundCard: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM) – Manufacturer:
Creative Technology, Ltd

The sound card is currently upto date.

However, since I bought the machine, there is a hiss when I try and record on the pc with a microphone plugged into a mic preamp (Behringer).

Any ideas what is wrong and how I fix this?  Is it the soundcard? 

Thank you,

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Dell Inspirion Sound Hiss While Recording

I have a recording studio (using Sonar and Pro Tools).

I would suspect the problem is the signal level from the Behringer t the PC or the Behringer unit.  I have some Behringer audio equipment and its all "noisy".  e.g. I have a Behringer headphone amp and it is noisy, even with no signal. 

I assume you are using a P.A. type mic, and the reason for the Preamp between the mic and the PC, as a standard P.A. mic's output signal level is too low for a PC sound input and amplifying it will produce noise.

The output from the preamp should be at "consumer line level" (-4DB)  for proper PC sound card operation. 

Also without any mic connected, listen to the output of the preamp and see if hear any noise. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
danaustin1975
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspirion Sound Hiss While Recording

Hi fireberd,

Much appreciated your feedback.

I've tried keeping the output at below 0 DB on the Behringer but there's still hiss on the microphone (I use a condenser) although, there is very little hiss when I use a line in on an electric or accoustic guitar, so, come to think of it, would I need a certain type of microphone?  From what you said it seems noise is the case with Behringers, I don't know if another microphone would do any good?

I am thinking of buying a Mobile FireStudio to hopefully solve the problem with microphones and it's signal- any thoughts on thsi fireberrd?

PS Do you use an Inspirion or Dell Machine with your recording studio?  Is this a home recording studio?  Basically i want to record from home, but the hiss has been a real problem as it means I have to use an effect to take off the hiss which affects the vocals slightly and spoils the recording.

Thank you again, much appreciated your reply,

Dan

0 Kudos