Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 2350 All In One Desktop– memory upgrade?

This all-in-one desktop has and easily accessible panel for maintenance purposes – so does anyone know if the 12 MB RAM (8+4?)  could be upgraded to 16 MB, and the 32 GB SSD drive be swapped out for a larger SSD drive?

I know I could just buy the 27 inch version with more memory etc but I've had a 27 inch Dell monitor before and the reflection on it was terrible, so bad that I had to return it because I just couldn't use it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi Gary hobo,

Dell sends a technician only to replace faulty parts on the system. I would suggest you to purchase a 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz memory and contact a local techncian who will be able to replace it.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 12:00

Hi Gary hobo,

The mSATA drive is setup as a caching device if the capacity is 32GB or 64 GB. If the mSATA drive 128GB or 256GB then its setup has boot drive. The mSATA drive is setup as a caching device by Dell.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 18:00

Hi Gary hobo,

To upgraded to Windows 8.1 OS from Windows 8 OS the system needs to fullfil some requirements only then you will be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1

http://dell.to/193aG8G

Also, the phone technical support is free for hardware troubleshooting within the warranty period and we are available 8 a.m.–8 p.m Monday–Friday.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Gary hobo,

Dell Inspiron 2350 can be configured with DDR3L 1600 MHz clock speed and supports minimum of 4GB to maximum of 16GB memory on the 2 Dimm slots. Memory Module Capacities are 4GB and 8GB. mSATA drives come with capacities ranging from 32GB,64GB,128GB & 256GB. The mSATA can be configured as a caching device or has regular hard drive. It’s recommended to use 32GB and 64GB mSATA drives as a caching device. 128GB and 256GB mSATA drives as regular hard drives.

11 Posts

December 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi Gary hobo,

Dell Inspiron 2350 can be configured with DDR3L 1600 MHz clock speed and supports minimum of 4GB to maximum of 16GB memory on the 2 Dimm slots. Memory Module Capacities are 4GB and 8GB. mSATA drives come with capacities ranging from 32GB,64GB,128GB & 256GB. The mSATA can be configured as a caching device or has regular hard drive. It’s recommended to use 32GB and 64GB mSATA drives as a caching device. 128GB and 256GB mSATA drives as regular hard drives.

Thanks for your reply Ravi.

Do you know if Dell would upgrade the memory to 16 GB RAM for me when I ordered a machine?

I'm a novice-ish, could you explain to me please a bit more about SSD drives as a caching device, am I correct in saying that it's best to put the operating system on the SSD, and everything else on the hard drive? I use voice recognition software as I'm disabled and unable to type, would it be beneficial to me to try and install my Dragon Dictate software on the SSD drive as well, purely because of the speed of the drive?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi Gary hobo,

Dell Inspiron 2350 comes with Intel RST technology, wherein it is configured by one mSATA drive and one hard drive. The Operating system is installed on the hard drive and mSATA hard drive is used for caching purpose, so that frequently used programs or instructions are virtually stored on mSATA partition as SSD are faster than the normal hard drive. You will feel the computer is fast.

But if you purchase a larger capacity of mSATA drive then you would need not use it has caching device. You can use it has boot drive.

In addition, You can purchase the memory from Dell and install the memory yourself.

11 Posts

December 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi Ravi

Thanks for your reply, again.

the reason it's important for me to be able to have Dell install the extra memory is because I'm disabled and unable to use my hands.  If Dell installed the memory it would make things so much easier for me.

I really only use my computer for email, writing and browsing the web.  The one important program I have running on my machine all the time is DragonDictate, which are use to control my computer and for typing.  I'm guessing DragonDictate will also be speeded up by having the SSD drive?

11 Posts

December 31st, 2013 04:00

ok, I think I'll try and get away with the 12 GB RAM 1st, if not I'll get it upgraded to 16 GB.

Re: using the SSD as a caching device, is this setup by Dell when I buy the machine or is it something I have to do myself (and therefore is it simple to do, are there instructions for how to do it etc)?

Thanks

11 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 12:00

thanks for your answer.

I'm very tempted to buy the machine but I'm a bit alarmed about some of the posts I've read on the Dell forums.

I've read posts aboutnot being able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 because of the video drivers used.

Is it true that the telephone support provided by Dell is charged as a premium rate call?  I've also read posts about not being able to get through to Dell support – something that would be essential for me as I must be able to get help if I run into problems.

A bit alarming if you're considering parting with the best part of £1200!

11 Posts

January 4th, 2014 03:00

thanks for your reply.

I'm running Windows 8.1 pro on my computer at the moment, is there an easy way to just transfer thisto my new machine?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 6th, 2014 09:00

Hi Gary hobo,

It’s good that you were able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 operating system. You will need to perform the Windows update on Windows 8 system to upgrade to Windows 8.1 OS.

1 Message

February 24th, 2014 03:00

Hi Ravi Ch,

That means while using a 128GB mSATA drive then it is possible to install Win 8.1 on this drive?

Thanks! 

Tibor

9 Posts

October 15th, 2014 00:00

Inspiron 2350 is supposed to have 1 SSD and 1 HDD. i guess SSD is 32GB. can i replace that with more capacity?

where is the SSD located? I can't find it when i opened the cover of the bottom pane/stand? is it hidden under another part/under HDD?

1 Message

May 20th, 2016 01:00

Hi
Can I place a SSD of 1Tb of capacity?
Can I place it in the mSATA or in the SATA HD indistinctly?
Thanks

No Events found!