BlueCoyote
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 3847 PSU upgrade

Jump to solution

been looking to upgrade my 300 PSU to something stronger, such as the 450 watt unit i have left over from my old computer that died. I tried installing it, and everything fit well, but the computer refused to power up for more than a second, after reading up on some documents, I have seen many say the 24-pin connector is wired differently than standard ATX PSUs. will i be required to get a Dell-specific PSU with a higher wattage to make this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
speedstep
6 Thallium

RE: Dell Inspiron 3847 PSU upgrade

Jump to solution

I have a Dell 3847 upgraded with a power Supply with the following Ratings.  Dell power supplies have 150 to 225W on the 5v/3.3v rails

and 4 AMPS aka 20W on the 5vsb Rails.  The 12v rails need to go above 18 Amps each so with higher and higher ratings they go over 450W on the 12v rails.   In other words 150W + 450 + 20 = 620W.

There is no such thing as 16.1 watts on the +5V standby.

It will be 1 amp or 2 amp or 3 amp or 4 amp

5W 10W 15W 20W

There are no issues with more power than you need but there are issues with Less power than  you need on specific rails.

I have used an Antec High Current Gamer 620W unit but for some power hungry cards that use 225 to 300 W or more this is not big enough.

5.9" x 3.39" x 5.51"

EPS 12V 2.92

• 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
  • 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139061

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

24 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

For this model Dell manufactures only a 300 w psu, so even if you wish to buy a Dell specific one, there are no parts for this model that will work. 

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
BlueCoyote
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

thank you, this is not quite what i wanted to hear, but thanks anyway

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

There are certainly upgraded PSUs you can run in a 3847. The connector is standard, but your older power supply may not supply enough of the right kind of power.

If you bought a newer PSU with the right specs I'm 99% it will work and I'm also fairly sure the 24 pin ATX connector is standard. It has been for a while.

What do you need more power for? How much more?

I don't have any specific recommendations because I don't know the size of your case and how large of a PSU will fit that case and how much power you need.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

24 pins is EPS12V.  20 pins is ATX.

Power supplies that guarantee 150W combined on the 3.3v 5v rail and 15 to 20W on the +5vSB Rail  with 450W or more on the 12v rails would work.

This is why a Corsair CS750M is a recommended upgrade.

Systems that are 650W and lower that only have 130W on the 3.3v/5v rail tend to not work well if at all.

Systems with less than 15W on the +5vsb rail tend to not work well if at all.

here

BlueCoyote
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

thank you, because i have been getting the runaround trying to determine if off-the-shelf power supplies would work, as friends of mine had told me that Dell computers would only work with Dell-branded PSUs, and i would rather not be limited by the PSU as to what Graphics Card i can get. i had tried using the PSU from my old computer (one that fit in a Compaq Presario SR5710y), but this one (as i am posting this in this forum, should be noted that it is indeed a Dell Inspiron 3847) , refused to work with it, powering on for a second, then shutting down, thus my quest started to find the answer, i had noticed that your reference pictures had a aftermarket PSU in them, so this is why i asked you in particular. looking at the specs of the PSU i have sitting on my lap as i type this, it has a combined wattage on the 3.3v/5v rail of 130 watts, with on the +5vSB rail it does have a combined wattage of 16.1 watts. the unit being a BFGR450WGS PSU if you so desire to look at the full specs, needless to say this PSU was made back in 2009,so i am guessing it is insufficient to meet the needs of this new computer. 

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

I have a Dell 3847 upgraded with a power Supply with the following Ratings.  Dell power supplies have 150 to 225W on the 5v/3.3v rails

and 4 AMPS aka 20W on the 5vsb Rails.  The 12v rails need to go above 18 Amps each so with higher and higher ratings they go over 450W on the 12v rails.   In other words 150W + 450 + 20 = 620W.

There is no such thing as 16.1 watts on the +5V standby.

It will be 1 amp or 2 amp or 3 amp or 4 amp

5W 10W 15W 20W

There are no issues with more power than you need but there are issues with Less power than  you need on specific rails.

I have used an Antec High Current Gamer 620W unit but for some power hungry cards that use 225 to 300 W or more this is not big enough.

5.9" x 3.39" x 5.51"

EPS 12V 2.92

• 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
  • 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139061

here

Highlighted
BlueCoyote
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

looking at the specs on the Corsair website http://www.corsair.com/en/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

CORSAIR CSM Series CS750M 

has a wattage of 

Corsair CS750M ATX Power Supply
AC Input Rating DC Output Rating
AC Input: 100V - 240V DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Current: 10 - 5A Max Load 25A 25A 62A 0.8A 3.0A
Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz Maximum Combined Wattage 130W 744W 9.6W 15W
Total Power: 750W

and it was indicated that 130 watts is not enough for those rails. should i look at another supply or what?

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

The issue is that 25 amps * 5v = 125W  some supplies that people are complaining about have a rating of 20 AMPS aka 100W on the 5V rail.    You cant get max output on all the rails at the same time.  Many people balk at 500W being too small because they look at the supply as a single 12v rail and disregard everything else.  The spec is misleading if you look at total.  744W means 6W for everything else.  The opposite end of that is that if it needs 25A on the 5v rails it wont shut down.  Supplies are not linear and use max amps continuously.

CX500 for example

+3.3V@25A, +5V@20A, +12V@38A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

DELL YN637  525W T3400 power supply

This works fine with specific Geforce 960 from evga.

But that does not mean all 500W power supplies are created equal.  +5VSB is 4A and the combined says 150W for the 3.3v/5v

here

BlueCoyote
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

in that case then the recommendation for the CS750M still stands, as the chart on the corsair website is a tad misleading, i take it.

0 Kudos