Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2014 11:00

Dell Inspiron 3847 - What to buy for SSD upgrade?

I just picked-up a Inspiron 3847 and I'm looking to upgrade to a solid state drive.

I think I'll need:

2.5" mounting bracket

SATA cable

Will I need a SATA III card or will the existing interface work (I couldn't find clear specs on what the existing interface actually was)?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2015 06:00

You cannot install an SSD as the boot Drive while the original drive is hooked up.

There will be issues.

You can install an ssd after upgrading DBAR to 1.7.5.64 and then making a 16 gig or larger usb flash recovery.

Then install the SSD

and then optimize it.

Then put the old drive back as a secondary.

I Usually recommend INTEL Retail drives for this so that you get Tools for optimization.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 9th, 2014 01:00

Hi Lykaon,

Yes you can upgrade the system to SSD the existing SATA cable and power cable is enough. You will need to purchase a 2.5 inch mounting bracket to fit the hard drive on the desktop.

3 Posts

February 9th, 2015 23:00

Can you install the SSD and also keep the original 1tb hard drive on the Dell 3847? Thank you.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2015 15:00

Thank you so much for your fast response. I'm very glad I got a Dell. I do have a couple more questions, I hope that's okay. I was thinking about getting the Samsung 850 pro SSD. I've read it has really good software for installation as a primary drive. Do you think that would be alright? Also, my computer came with Windows 7 installed but it also came with a "Windows 8.1 recovery media for Windows 8.1 products" disk, (I assume this is the Windows 8 operating system disk). I would like to keep Windows 7 after installing the new SSD as my primary drive. Do you know how I can do this without having the Windows 7 disk or product key?

Again, thank you so much for so of your help. I really appreciate it.

Chris

3 Posts

February 10th, 2015 23:00

Sorry, I just have one more question. Will the stock 300W power supply work with the extra SSD, a GeForce GT 730 1GB graphics card and up to two external 1TB hard drives hooked up? Thanks again for your help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2015 00:00

External Drives are not an issue.  SSD drives use less than 10W of power so its fine.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2015 00:00

The software that samsung comes with is worthless and does not Optimize the Disk.

The INTEL Retail Drives set Buffering and Prefetch and other parameters so that the drive does not die in less than 10 hours due to being Written to death.

1.2K Posts

February 11th, 2015 22:00

The software that samsung comes with is worthless and does not Optimize the Disk.

The INTEL Retail Drives set Buffering and Prefetch and other parameters so that the drive does not die in less than 10 hours due to being Written to death.

I guess that's one person's opinion. Not really shared by the rest of the market though.

I have a 3 year old crucial/micron 120GB that runs 24x7 in a workstation with no problems.
I have several samsung 840 Evo's in laptops that run flawlessly, and with the firmware patch are faster again.

I'd trade any of my SSDs for an equal size intel 730, but I won't pay the 50% more premium .

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 12th, 2015 05:00

Disable search indexing

The search indexer made searching for files on a traditional hard drive speedier, but it doesn't do much on an SSD except perform small writes

Defragging won't be disabled on a cloned drive as well and this can lead to permanent damage.

The INTEL Drive Tool box makes sure that all of these Items are set properly.

June 21st, 2015 19:00

upgrading DBAR to 1.7.5.64

unquote

What's DBAR?

1 Message

September 10th, 2015 13:00

So I unplugged the default Drive and plugged in a Samsung 840 SSD and build windows, however when I restart it comes up with a drive failed.   Is there a BIOS setting I am missing?   I can't get past the set up screens for the Windows build.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 11th, 2015 13:00

Turn Secure Boot off.  Turn legacy boot on.  SET SATA OPERATION TO AHCI.

12 Posts

May 12th, 2016 11:00

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone actually confirm if a Samsung Evo SSD should work in this desktop (Inspiron 3847),

I have one installed in the location of the original hard drive (Sata 0) and when I hit the power button it boots to windows on the SSD, however I am unable to use it as my primary drive as it doesn't appear anywhere in the boot options in BIOS,

I have tried most of the above suggestions but there could be something I'm missing?,

Any idea guys?,

Thanks,

Mr Anthony

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 16th, 2016 10:00

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA works just fine.

Sata Operation must be AHCI

You cant just plug a drive in and it boots windows.

You have to install windows on the blank SSD with the other drive removed.

No Events found!