Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2017 16:00

Dell Inspiron 3847 power light turns on for a second then turns off

Hello everybody!

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 with an i5 4440, 8 gb of ram, and 1 tb of hard drive. I purchased an evga 500 watt PSU and successfully installed it. My pc worked normally and everything was fine. I then purchased an evga 1060 sc and attempted at installing it into my pc. After installing it I started up my pc and it turned on. The fan for the gpu didn’t spin so I turned off my computer, opened the case, unplugged the 6 pin then plugged it back in. I turned on my pc again but it made an odd sound before the power button flashing orange then completely shutting off. Now every time I turn it on the light turns orange and the fans spin for a split second then they stop. Any assistance will be much appreciated...

9.4K Posts

October 10th, 2017 05:00

Hi ChiefAbooda,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, from what you are describing, it sounds like the motherboard may be having problems with the new power supply.  Did you try re-installing the old one to see if the computer will boot?

Here is some information that may be helpful: http://dell.to/2y9HOL1

October 10th, 2017 19:00

Yes, I attempted at booting with the original 300 watt power supply that came with the computer. I also attempted at booting without the hard drive and optical drive, but the same issue continued.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 11th, 2017 12:00

Did you ever try removing the new evga 1060 card and reinstalling  the old video card or using onboard Intel video?

Note: Any add-in video card must be physically removed from the PC before you can use any of the onboard video ports, which are disabled while an add-in card is installed.

October 11th, 2017 17:00

Yes, I did try booting with and without the new gpu (there wasn't a pre-installed gpu with this model). The computer booted normally before with the gpu, but after I connected the molex from the PSU to the molex that came with the GPU which connected the six pin on the card, the computer began to fail booting up.

No Events found!