Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2010 19:00

Dell Inspiron 518 won't turn on

I have a Dell Inspiron 518 that I bought sometime in February 2009, and it's been working great. Until a few nights ago, that is, when I unplugged it because I was afraid lightning might hit our house/our power go out and the house power had flashed on/off right as I was reaching for the power cord. I went to plug it back in later on after the storm passed, and it wouldn't turn on. The only things that had been unplugged were the power cords... The monitor is working fine, but I'm guetting nothing from the tower. When I plug it in a light comes on in the back under the power cable, and there's a small amber/orange light on the motherboard (which I'm hoping is a good sign, I've never really ventured inside a computer before). Once before, after unplugging it because I had to move something behind the cord, the power button would not show anything for a few minutes, then would flash amber when I pressed it, then mysteriously worked about an hour later... Now I don't know what to do, as there's nothing coming from the power button at all, the only signs of life I can see are the two lights I mentioned. No 'Beeps,' no working fans, anything. I've tried reseating all the cables I can get to, and that didn't help. Tried multiple power cords, in different outlets, etc. but nothing works.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

412 Posts

June 18th, 2010 20:00

You can try reseating the RAM. Sometimes, for whatever reason that I wish I could explain, RAM gets a little mucked up. Taking it out & putting it back in can cause it to just kick over & work next time you power it on.

Next you can try putting in a different power supply.

3 Posts

Thanks for the fast response. I tried that, but it still won't power on. Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

412 Posts

You tried putting in a new power supply also (assuming you have one lying around)? If so & it didn't work then it's a possibility the motherboard got fried. No one likes to think that, but it's possible.

13 Posts

September 6th, 2010 06:00

I have the same issue, did you ever get a successful solution here?

1 Message

March 31st, 2012 12:00

my situation is almost exactly the same as the first post, Feb 09 build date, dead but the the light on the back and the amber light on the motherboard.

I have removed and reseated the ram and hard as per Dells database suggestion.

March 31st, 2012 12:00

Hi Beestest,

Welcome to Dell Community,

As you have told, that there are lights on the power indicator on the back and also on the Mobo, it certainly seems that its not the power .

Good that you have tried re-seating the Memory modules,

Try re-seating the video card or any expansion cards back if you can, Use the manual for the help on "How to reseat".

Would request  you to try by removing the Optical drive cables and Hard drive cables from the motherboards end and remove all the memory modules and turning on the computer

If you get any beep codes, Motherboard is fine, if not then its a motherbaord failure.

P S-Let us know the computer model, which can us help better.

3.7K Posts

March 31st, 2012 13:00

my situation is almost exactly the same as the first post, Feb 09 build date, dead but the the light on the back and the amber light on the motherboard.

I have removed and reseated the ram and hard as per Dells database suggestion.

What is your model, and what color is your power light.

1 Message

May 27th, 2012 15:00

I am having the same issues with my Dell Inspiron 518. The green light on the back of the power supply lights up and theres a yellowish light on the motherboard that lights up as well. I have followed the instructions that were given above and I'm still having the same issues. Can you help me please.

Thank you,

Ashley W.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi Ashley,

Did you remove the optical and hard drive cables from the motherboard end and remove all the memory modules and try turning on the computer? Do you get any beeps?

1 Message

July 24th, 2012 06:00

I have the exact same problem with my dell inspiron 518. both lights are lit up but nothing happens when you push the power button. My computer sat turned off for about 6 months and worked great last time it was used?????

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2012 07:00

Hi lfoley,

Please try the suggestions posted above. Let us know what if anything helps.

Could be as simple as a bad power supply.

August 6th, 2012 19:00

anyone with a power supply tester. Please test the Power Supply. I have tried everything and the only thing it could possibly be is a power supply.

August 6th, 2012 19:00

I am having the same issue with the 518. I purchased a new Power Supply and now the PC turns on enough to give me one POST beep and then turns off a few seconds later then it turns on again and off and on etc etc. I have a new Motherboard and new PSU. The other PSU wont do anything when I press the button just like the others in this forum.

1 Message

September 4th, 2012 14:00

Curious, has anyone actually resolved this issue or been helped by Dell Support? I'm experiencing the same issue with my 518 Inspiron, green LED on power supply lights up, amber LED on Mobo lights up, replaced power button harness, reset Ram, used paper clip to jump mobo to power supply  HD & Fans fire up!?!

However, computer still won't power-on by pressing power button. What's going on DELL, WITH THE INSPIRON 518's?

September 4th, 2012 15:00

I fixed mine with a new power supply. I actually bought a power supply tester and it showed that one pin was bad(dont remember which one) so I got a new one and it works now. The fan actually worked on mine so just by using the paper clip method you wont know if its supposed to boot. I would recommend a new power supply. You can get them for about $35 on Amazon right now. 

No Events found!