lfoley
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 518 won't turn on

I have the exact same problem with my dell inspiron 518. both lights are lit up but nothing happens when you push the power button. My computer sat turned off for about 6 months and worked great last time it was used?????

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Hi lfoley,

Please try the suggestions posted above. Let us know what if anything helps.

Could be as simple as a bad power supply.

0 Kudos
joeyoung251
1 Copper

I am having the same issue with the 518. I purchased a new Power Supply and now the PC turns on enough to give me one POST beep and then turns off a few seconds later then it turns on again and off and on etc etc. I have a new Motherboard and new PSU. The other PSU wont do anything when I press the button just like the others in this forum.

0 Kudos
joeyoung251
1 Copper

anyone with a power supply tester. Please test the Power Supply. I have tried everything and the only thing it could possibly be is a power supply.

0 Kudos
BjornL.
1 Copper

Curious, has anyone actually resolved this issue or been helped by Dell Support? I'm experiencing the same issue with my 518 Inspiron, green LED on power supply lights up, amber LED on Mobo lights up, replaced power button harness, reset Ram, used paper clip to jump mobo to power supply  HD & Fans fire up!?!

However, computer still won't power-on by pressing power button. What's going on DELL, WITH THE INSPIRON 518's?

0 Kudos
joeyoung251
1 Copper

I fixed mine with a new power supply. I actually bought a power supply tester and it showed that one pin was bad(dont remember which one) so I got a new one and it works now. The fan actually worked on mine so just by using the paper clip method you wont know if its supposed to boot. I would recommend a new power supply. You can get them for about $35 on Amazon right now. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
waterpapa
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron 518 won't turn on

I have another Dell Inspiron 518 that was a refurbished near the end of 2008, and I purchased in January of 2009. Recently it started not turning on and then a few moments later it did. Now like others I've read here my power supply light is green on the back of computer, and there is a yellow light on the 

mother board. I've pulled memory sticks out and re-seated, unplugged mother board and re-connected, I get no beeps of any kind and no blue power lite.

HELP

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

RE: Dell Inspiron 518 won't turn on

waterpapa

Are there any error messages, or 'Beeps'?

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, or White, Blinking Blue, or White, Steady Amber, or Off?

You can find Dell's Quick Reference Guide/Troubleshooter for the Inspiron 518 here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos