Redjr12
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 530: Monitor shuts down while attempting to play embedded video.

Jump to solution

On my Dell Inspiron 530, when attempting to play embedded video my screen will freeze, the audio beeps once, and then the monitor shuts down turning off the power button. I then have to reboot to get back on the pc. The video is usually embedded in a news story which I will generally read from websites like Market Waatch of Yahoo Finance. I checked all hardware on the pc and every indication said it's working. I use Firefox 13 and I have updated the flash plug-ins and that didn't help. Are there any other suggestions?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Redjr12
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron 530: Monitor shuts down while attempting to play embedded video.

Jump to solution

This is what typically happens. Usually I get streaming video when I go into a news story. So, when I click on the link to a news story and a video accompanies that news story, my screen freezes and I still here a little audio. Then I hear a beep and the monitor shuts down and loses power. However, I did find a way around the problem just by disabling all hardware accelerations. So far it is working, I am able to get to the news stories without streaming video knocking me off the system. I haven't found any repercussions yet by disabling all hardware accelerations. This could be fine with me since I use my pc mostly for business. I don't stress the graphics card too much. I am not a gamer. So, as long as I am not getting booted off every time a video plays, I am happy. 

What led me to that solution was a hint I read in YouTube video about disabling the graphics accelerator. I found where that could be done on Windows XP and gave it a shot and it works. For those following this problem you go into control panel, click on the display icon, click the settings tab, go to advanced on the bottom, then click on troubleshoot. On the hardware acceleration slide down to none and click apply.

I am not sure this is the ultimate solution but so far no problem. However, I tried diagnosing other hardware such as the video card and there was never a problem indicated. This is baffling why this is a problem all of a sudden and I always had the hardware accelerators at full throttle. So, it's still baffling. I will just have to keep an eye on it. I imagine for gamers, this may not be a good solution since I think the hardware acceleration is necessary at full throttle to run those graphics.

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions. I am still open to try other ideas. Like I said I was able to run video just fine with full acceleration and now this sudden change. I may try updating the video driver and put the setting back to full throttle acceleration and see what happens. We'll see.

5 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Dell Inspiron 530: Monitor shuts down while attempting to play embedded video.

Jump to solution

Hi Redjr12,

The problem is that your computer is shutting down, not just the monitor. Correct?

The first thing I want you to do is to disable automatic restart. Then when you experience this problem, you'll be able to see what the blue screen error is before the system shuts down.

0 Kudos
Redjr12
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I already have the automatic restart disabled. The entire system doesn't crash, just the monitor. I have to actually press the power button on the cpu to reboot because the monitor won't turn back on. Once I reboot the pc runs fine except for when I play video. Anyway, I don't get the bluescreen of death. My screen freezes, beeps once, and then the monitor shuts down as if I were shutting down the pc and the monitor power button goes from green to yellow while the power button on the pc remains blue.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Again, the problem is not your monitor turning off. But now it seems your system is freezing and losing your video.

Have you triued updating the video driver?

0 Kudos
Redjr12
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This is what typically happens. Usually I get streaming video when I go into a news story. So, when I click on the link to a news story and a video accompanies that news story, my screen freezes and I still here a little audio. Then I hear a beep and the monitor shuts down and loses power. However, I did find a way around the problem just by disabling all hardware accelerations. So far it is working, I am able to get to the news stories without streaming video knocking me off the system. I haven't found any repercussions yet by disabling all hardware accelerations. This could be fine with me since I use my pc mostly for business. I don't stress the graphics card too much. I am not a gamer. So, as long as I am not getting booted off every time a video plays, I am happy. 

What led me to that solution was a hint I read in YouTube video about disabling the graphics accelerator. I found where that could be done on Windows XP and gave it a shot and it works. For those following this problem you go into control panel, click on the display icon, click the settings tab, go to advanced on the bottom, then click on troubleshoot. On the hardware acceleration slide down to none and click apply.

I am not sure this is the ultimate solution but so far no problem. However, I tried diagnosing other hardware such as the video card and there was never a problem indicated. This is baffling why this is a problem all of a sudden and I always had the hardware accelerators at full throttle. So, it's still baffling. I will just have to keep an eye on it. I imagine for gamers, this may not be a good solution since I think the hardware acceleration is necessary at full throttle to run those graphics.

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions. I am still open to try other ideas. Like I said I was able to run video just fine with full acceleration and now this sudden change. I may try updating the video driver and put the setting back to full throttle acceleration and see what happens. We'll see.

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Ok, disabling hardware acceleration was a good approach. That will eliminate hardware or driver compatibility problems with Flash Player. If you update the driver, try enabling hardware acceleration again. If you run into the same problem, just leave it disabled.

0 Kudos