7 Plutonium

Re: Dell Inspiron 530 starts up 3 times

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding froggyjo.  It sounds like your Inspiron 530 had the same issue with the 3 starts that mine did.  Did replacing the hard drive solve the issue?  Would you have to know where I can locate the Dell diagnostics so that I could try that out on my computer?

RSDColOH

As you have posted in an Inspiron 530 thread, I'll assume that you have the same model.

Information about using the Inspiron 530 Dell Diagnostics, can be found on pages 90 to 93 of the 530 Owners Manual, here:

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi RSDColOH,

You can test the hard drive by booting to your Dell drivers and utilities disc. That's the preferred method for testing a hard drive.

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.

3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.

5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.

6. Select Test System.

7. Select Custom Test.

7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.

9. Click Run Tests.

10. Write down any error messages.

0 Kudos
RSDColOH
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi to everyone who helped me to find the Dell Diagnostics -

I was able to get to the Diagnostics screen and, when I saw it, it looked all too familiar.  When I had Dell helping to remotely diagnose the issue, I had run this diagnostics test at that time and it had not uncovered any errors then.  I decided to try it again today and ran the Extended test to test everything.  The test didn't uncover any errors whatsoever, so I'm still stuck with a computer that takes three tries to boot up.  I do appreciate all the suggestions and help that all of you have given me with this issue.

0 Kudos
froggyjo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

the hard drive was replaced 5 months ago this 3 start thing just started a week ago and does the exact same thing yours is doing! if I come out of sleep mode it's fine only when it is shut down or restarted it does it 2 times,but the fan and everything else is identicle.

0 Kudos
RSDColOH
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

froggyjo -

It's pretty amazing that both of our computers have the same issue - I've also found a few others out there with the same issue out in other forums on the internet, but I (obviously) haven't found any of them that have a solution.  If I find anything that works, I'll definitely post back on this forum, but if you find a fix for the issue, please post back and let me know.  This problem is really strange in that it doesn't appear to affect the performance of the computer at all, but it is a little scary in that it keeps you wondering if someday it just won't decide to start at all.  Of everything that I did, reinstalling the operating software had the greatest impact on the computer's performance even though it didn't solve the 3 start problem.  It was also by far the most time-consuming of anything that I did in an attempt to fix the problem.

Thanks for letting me know that you're out there with the same computer issue - it's comforting to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Couple of off-the-wall thoughts:

• Have you run chkdsk c: /f on the hard drive from CMD prompt window? (It'll ask you to reboot before it actually runs chkdsk)
  • Open CMD prompt window and type in:  fsutil dirty query c:  (then press Enter). Does it say 'dirty' or 'not dirty'?
  • Have you scanned thoroughly for malware recently?
  • Checked BIOS for these settings? 
    • Hard Disk Boot Priority
    • First Boot Device
    • Boot Other Device
    • SATA Mode
    • Onboard LAN Boot ROM (should be disabled)
  • Tried disabling Onboard LAN controller in BIOS (just to see what happens)?

Humor me... emoticon.BigSmile.title

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RSDColOH
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi RoHe -

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's what I found out:

Running chkdsk c: /f got me a report that said: 0 bad file records processed, 0 unindexed files processed, and 0 bad sectors.  Most of the wording scrolled by too fast for me to read after the 0 bad sectors report.

fsutil dirty query got me the result that volume c: is NOT dirty.

I did a scan earlier today using Norton Internet Security and Norton Power Eraser.  Norton Internet Security got rid of 73 tracking cookies, while Power Eraser determined there were no risks.

BIOS settings:

Hard disk Boot Priority:

1. SATA-0: [name of hard drive]

2. Bootable Add-in cards

First Boot Device: CD-ROM

Second Boot Device:  Hard Disk

(as an aside, the first and 2nd boot devices have been reversed in the past with no effect on the 3 start issue that I've had)

Boot Other Device: Enabled

SATA Mode: IDE

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: Disabled

Since I was in the BIOS screen I disabled the Onboard LAN controller.  The computer took the usual 2 startup attempts after a restart, so I immediately went back into BIOS and enabled the Onboard LAN controller.  After saving that setting, the computer restarted, but took five or 6 attempts before restarting (I wasn't paying full attention and had music in the background, so I can't say for sure just how many tries it took - it was just several more than is usual).  When the computer finally booted back up I got a message that said ALERT! and something about the attempted boot up, but it went by too fast for me to read it.  This was a little scary for me!  Any ideas if this Onboard LAN controller may be an issue?

Thanks RoHe - I hope to hear from you again soon!

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

The on-board LAN controller should be enabled. This is your network adapter. If there is an entry for the LAN controller in boot devices, that should be disabled.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

The on-board LAN controller should be enabled. This is your network adapter. If there is an entry for the LAN controller in boot devices, that should be disabled.

That's correct, but I suggested dsabling the onboard LAN controller (quote: " just to see what happens") to see if we could exclude that as a factor in this 3-peat booting problem. emoticon.Stickouttongue.title

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Guess I missed a post in this thread.

I'd still put the boot hard drive as first in the boot sequence, if nothing else than to save the few milliseconds it takes for BIOS to see if there's a bootable disk in the CD drive before booting from the second boot device (hard drive).  And try disabling Boot Other Devices, at least for a test.

Did you ever replace the motherboard battery as I suggested?

And you can always change the BIOS settings option "Halt on" to "all error" which will give you a chance to read what those alerts say.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos