Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2013 10:00

Dell Inspiron 530 starts up 3 times

For the past several months, my 5 year old Inspiron 530 has had the following issue:

From a cold start, it will power up for a few seconds (loud fan noise), then power off, then power on for a few seconds, then power off, then power on and proceed as normal.  So from a cold start it will start up a total of 3 times.

When the computer is restarted, it will power down, power up for a few seconds, power down again, power up and then proceed normally.  So from a restart, it will start up a total of 2 times.

I have tried the following fixes and so far none of them have resolved the issue (these may not be in the correct sequence):

I contacted Dell Support.  They told me it was a "software issue" and they proceeded to try several different things over a remote connection.  After about 5 hours of trying to resolve the issue without a solution, I was told it was not a software issue but a hardware issue and referred me to the hardware tech support group.  The technician from that group told me that it was a software issue and that I needed to reinstall the operating software.  Since I also read on the internet that this could be a power supply issue, I had them refer me to Dell sales who could sell me a replacement power supply.

I bought the power supply and installed it, but that had no effect.

I bought a new video card and installed it, but it had no effect on the restart issue and actually caused additional problems.  I removed the new video card and reinstalled the old video card.

I contacted Norton about doing a remote virus removal.  I had two different technicians from Norton work remotely to fix the startup issue, but they were unsuccessful.

As a last resort, I decided to go ahead and reinstall the operating software which is Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  I actually reinstalled the operating software twice, because I didn't reformat the C: drive when I did the first reinstallation.  I did do the reformat of C: drive on the 2nd reinstallation.  While my Inspiron 530 now boots up much faster and also runs much faster, it will still take 3 starts to get going.

So if anyone out there has any insight on this issue, whether it is a fix or whether I should just let it be and not be concerned about it, please respond to let me know your suggestions.  If additional detail is needed, please let me know.

13 Posts

May 29th, 2013 14:00

Many thanks to everyone, especially osprey4 & RoHe for so many helpful suggestions.  But most special thanks to froggyjo for remembering to post the solution to the issue.

My last post to this forum was that I had ordered the video card that froggyjo recommended.  A few days after that, the hard drive crashed.  I had a local tech come out to diagnose the problem the computer was having and he was plugging and unplugging all kinds of cables internally in the computer.  At one point, he had connected the video connector at a different external connector not on the card and also had removed the card and the computer had started in one try.  He also seemed to think that the hard drive had been causing the 3 start issue.  I went out and bought a new hard drive two days ago and got it installed and got all of the software, files etc. partially added to the hard drive, but the 3 start issue was still present.  The new video card, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT arrived yesterday and I also installed it yesterday and now the 3 start issue is no more.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 29th, 2013 17:00

Wow, fantastic! So happy to hear this is resolved.

You win the award for persistence.

1 Message

October 25th, 2014 11:00

I know this is old, but I had the same issue start about two months ago.  I have 8GB of ram two different sets of memory (this stick look different).  It's the same memory all four sticks are dell recommended for Dell Inspiron 530.  When I run the dell system config utility online it was only showing dimm 1 and 2, so I moved the memory around grouping them 1 and 2 same manufacturer and 3 and 4.  Put newest in 1 and 2 and oldest in 3 and 4.

Just moving the memory around solved the problem, but I have a aging system and the network port is going bad.  So I am looking for a cheap (new) replacement motherboard.  I might have to go with a different case, cpu, and memory.  Fortunately the power supply, video card are new and I can reuse them.

Rocketmanvs

2 Posts

March 6th, 2017 12:00

i will consider you to Install Windows 7 maybe it will resolve your issue

Regards

No Events found!