greywolf79
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 530 upgrade

Jump to solution

I am thinking I will end up replacing the CPU, Motherboard and RAM. However I was hoping for some input on what best replacements for keeping the same power supply for the short term. I just want to upgrade it for the kids, so top of the line is not required but if the price is right it would be better. I think my biggest concern is the front USB/sound/etc ports. Currently I believe it is running a 305w power supply and a PCI-e x16 video card.

Are the connectors for these Dell propritary or will they work with a new motherboard? 

Does anyone know the max size board the case will hold and what type (ATX/mini-ATX/BTX/etc) the motherboard is? I thought it was an ATX but I figured I would double check while getting the max size able to fit...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Platinum

RE: Dell Inspiron 530 upgrade

Jump to solution

greywolf79

The Inspiron 530 MT supports a Micro-ATX motherboard.

You might have in issue with the rear I/O panel, Dell has integrated this in chassis back panel, retail motherboards have separate I/O panels that fit into an ATX chassis, you would need to modify the case, by cutting an opening in the Dell chassis for it.  You may find it easier to buy a standard ATX case.

Dell's OEM copy of windows will not with a non-Dell motherboard, as it is tied to their BIOS, be prepared to buy either a new copy of windows, or license from Microsoft.

The Dell front panel wiring and connectors do have proprietary features.

More information Here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100101144704AAxgMph

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302072-30-upgraded-motherboard-dell-inspiron

I've had an Inspiron 530MT since 2007 and to improve it's performance, upgraded the processor to a e8400, maxed our the RAM, installed a AMD 7750 video card and a primary SSD [this made a big difference] and recently upgraded from Win 7, to Win 10.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

greywolf79

The Inspiron 530 MT supports a Micro-ATX motherboard.

You might have in issue with the rear I/O panel, Dell has integrated this in chassis back panel, retail motherboards have separate I/O panels that fit into an ATX chassis, you would need to modify the case, by cutting an opening in the Dell chassis for it.  You may find it easier to buy a standard ATX case.

Dell's OEM copy of windows will not with a non-Dell motherboard, as it is tied to their BIOS, be prepared to buy either a new copy of windows, or license from Microsoft.

The Dell front panel wiring and connectors do have proprietary features.

More information Here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100101144704AAxgMph

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302072-30-upgraded-motherboard-dell-inspiron

I've had an Inspiron 530MT since 2007 and to improve it's performance, upgraded the processor to a e8400, maxed our the RAM, installed a AMD 7750 video card and a primary SSD [this made a big difference] and recently upgraded from Win 7, to Win 10.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
greywolf79
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. I totally forgot about the built in i/o shield... I will just salvage what I can and build a new box. I was hoping to save the case for the extra $30 savings. I have it running a E7500 with 5 gb RAM - so it is already fairly close to max (not the quad capable motherboard). And with the age of the parts, I would rather just buy a new board and cpu than use the old one.

Thanks, I will consider this thread closed.

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

greywolf79

You are welcome.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos