Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2013 14:00

Dell Inspiron 530S PC keeps on turning on by itself?

Hi,

I can use some assistance.  My Dell Inspiron 530S keeps turning itself on.

I had a problem with the PC always attempting to boot from the LAN instead of from Hard Disk.  
To correct this issue I re-installed the BIOS and removed the Battery for an hour.  Now the PC boots from HD correctly but it will not stay off.

The amount of time before it turns on varies.  Some times a few minutes, some times a few hours.

Running Windows 7 Professional 32bit with 4GB of RAM.
BIOS version: 1.0.15
BIOS Settings:
On Board LAN Boot ROM - Disabled
ACPI Suspend Type - S1(POS)
Remote Wake up - Off
Auto Power On - Disabled
AC Recovery - Off

Device Manager Settings:
Network Connection Power Management Not Checked: "Allow this device to wake the computer"
HID Keyboard Device Power Management Not Checked: "Allow this device to wake the computer"
HID compliant Mouse Power Management Not Checked: "Allow this device to wake the computer"

Malwarebytes indicates the PC is clean.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Kevin

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi Kevin,

Pretty strange all right.

Have you tried leaving the network cable unplugged to see if the system stays off?

14 Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will pull the LAN cable tonight and post back tomorrow.

Cheers,

-Kevin

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Is it on a network? I had that problem with a PC on a home network, and other machines were constantly waking it up until I turned off a setting, the name of which escapes me.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 16:00

In my BIOS, under power management setup, there is an option called remote wakeup. This option turns on the computer when you try to access the computer through the LAN (Enabled by default). The 530S BIOS appears to have the same option.

14 Posts

January 16th, 2013 09:00

Disconnected the LAN, Keyboard and Mouse.

My BIOS Auto Power On is Disabled

The PC still Powered on by itself.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Kevin

14 Posts

January 16th, 2013 10:00

Kevin, not to discourage you from getting this computer running correctly but I think you made a grave mistake changing around the BIOS?

This past year I updated the BIOS on one of my older computers and got the same symptoms where the computer would start on it's on and not keep the correct time, I was never able to recover from it. I changed the CMOS battery on the motherboard thinking it may have been bad and changed the jumpers on the motherboard around as recommended by the manufacturer, I think it's called flashing the BIOS or motherboard, nothing worked. Are you sure you have the correct BIOS version? The BIOS update version I had used was right from the manufacturers website and still did the computer in. Myself I wouldn't deal with BIOS again unless the computer was new and the manufacturer like Dell had a recommended and important BIOS update, and if no hardware had been changed in the computer before the update was recommended.

You could try starting the computer with no ram in it then shut down and repeat this process installing one ram stick at a time and shitting down. Or try swapping out ram if you have any spare ram. Sometimes ram gets corrupted. Worth a try, but I think you have a BIOS issue that's going to be hard to recover from.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 16th, 2013 10:00

Kevin,

When the system powered on while disconnected from the internet, did you get any errors?

Let me see if any of my cohorts has an idea.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi Kevin! Do you by any chance use the PC for watching TV? Have you tried to remove the batteries from the media controller when the PC is turned off to see if it is a faulty media controller?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 16:00

Hi PineValley,

I'd rather rule out more obvious things before we go down that road. You are correct that a bad BIOS flash can create lots of problems, but I'm not seeing those symptoms in this case.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 18th, 2013 12:00

Do you possibly have something scheduled in Windows 7 Task Scheduler control panel that's turning the PC on to, eg, look for updates, etc?  

14 Posts

January 18th, 2013 19:00

PC is still powering on by it self.

See no errors when I log on.

Auto Updates turned off.

There are 33 Active Tasks but none are set to wake the computer.

Should I Disable or Delete these tasks?

Most of the tasks look like they are for the OS.

Thanks,

-Kevin

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 19th, 2013 04:00

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Time for basic troubleshooting.

1. Unplug the hard drive. If the system still reboots, then you definitely have some sort of electrical problem. Might try resetting the CMOS.

2. If the system does not reboot, then it's something to do with the OS. Clean install time.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 19th, 2013 17:00

Osprey may be right that it's time for a clean install, but it shouldn't hurt to disable (don't delete) all those scheduled tasks. If that solves the problem, you can reactivate them one, or a few, at a time to see if you can identify the offender.

14 Posts

January 19th, 2013 17:00

Disabled all scheduled tasks.

Disconnected the Hard Drive.  PC powers up saying No Boot Sector found press Ctrl Alt Del.

After unplugging the PC it powers back on when I reconnect the power.

Now the PC powers back on immediately.

Re-connected the Hard Drive and still got the No Boot Sector found error.

Removed battery and found that the battery has only had 2.6V

Purchased new battery and installed.

Reset the BIOS.

PC boots from Hard Drive but still powers back on immediately after Shut Down.

If I tell the PC to Hibernate, it powers back on immediately after going into Hibernation.

If I tell the PC to Sleep, it stays in Sleep.

I do not see the scheduled tasks that I disabled.

Do I need to re-enable these tasks?  How?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Kevin

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 20th, 2013 05:00

With the new battery, try unplugging the hard drive again. In the BIOS, power restore should be set to off.

No Events found!