Kevin2012
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron 530S PC keeps on turning on by itself?

Sorry for the confusion - I did not post my issue on Toms.  My PC is a Dell 530S with no WIFI.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

The motherboard LED shows that the board is getting "flea" power. It should be on as long as the PC is connected to a live outlet, eg not turned off at a power strip, even when the PC is off. Can you try connecting the PC to an outlet on a different circuit?

Is a power strip or surge protector with it's own power switch a work-around for this problem, at least until you find a solution?  I have my PC connected to a surge protector and BIOS is set to "restart after power outage". After shutting down normally, I turn off the surge protector which also turns off the monitor and printer. Next morning, I just turn the surge protector on and the PC thinks it's recovering from an outage and boots itself without me having to press the power button (Yes, I'm lazy!).

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PineValley
1 Nickel

Hi osprey4,  just to clarify I didn't flash the BIOS till afterward. I had done a BIOS update which resulted in the exact same symptoms that Kevin is having, which the computer was never able to recover from no matter what I tryed, I ended up scraping it for parts. I wouldn't  upgrade BIOS again, or re-install them as Kevin did. That's just my opinion. I believe they're a memory on the motherboard install by the motherboard manufacturer, and very difficult to work with unless you really know what you're doing, it can be a recipe for disaster.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Hi PineValley,

Sorry to hear about that. Certainly a BIOS update, like any firmware update, carries a small risk of problems that might disable the hardware completely. I recommend that people use "DOS" methods to update firmware, rather than run then from within Windows, but that's not completely foolproof either.

0 Kudos