Highlighted
Bruce2009
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 531 Hangs on Booting

My Inspiron 531 started to freeze over the last few months and finally would not startup. When I looked at the logs I saw some errors on the video card. Not consistent errors but random. Now, it hangs on the boot up. Amber light stays on, fans turn on, disk drive spinning. However, no beeps, just hangs at that point with a Amber light. I have replaced the mother board and video card. Disconnected memory and re-installed. Each change I tested with a power up.

Vista installed.

Any suggestions on next steps?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Bruce2009
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron 531 Hangs on Booting

I am still reinstalling cards, memory. Thought I might put a new battery in as well. The computer still does not progress during startup. Amber light stays on steady. Fans and disk drive running.

Please provide some advice. Thanks!

Davet50
6 Indium

You may have miss judged the bad componet. What light on your diagnostic lights are illuminated?

I belive the power supply is ok, you replaced the motherboard so let assume that is not it either, as well as the video card. That leaves the memory or harddrives/optical drives.

Heres whay you should do

1. check the diagnostic lights

2. remove the ram sticks. power on the system then again look at the lights and listen for beeps. Replace the ram sticks one at a time into slot #1 and try to boot the system. pull the first one out and repeat again with all the remaining ram sticks. If still no difference then put all the ram back in and unplug the power going to all the drives. and try to boot again.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

Bruce2009
1 Nickel

Other than the power on switch and back of the power supply, are there more diagnostic lights I missed?

The only lights I can find on the computer is the power on switch which remains Amber in color on power on and the back of the power supply that stays green.

I replaced each memory stick each power on cycle. No changes.

I removed the disk drive and DVD drive power on power up and no changes.

It appears that the computer cannot go to the next step in the power up. There is blue light flicker on the disk drive light when you push the power switch but nothing else on the drive light appears. No beeps at all. Nothing on the display appears. It looks like it cannot get pass the BIOS during startup. Thanks for the suggestions......any thing else?

Bruce2009
1 Nickel

I still have not been able to resolve my startup issue. Only replaced the battery at this point. I don't want to spend any more money unless someone comes up with a good suggestion. Any one in the Dell community who has any ideas?

Davet50
6 Indium

If you are still seeing a amber powerlight then either the supply is bad or some componet is loading it down. Remove everything from the system board with the exception of the CPU. disconnect the power connectors on all your drives.

Power on the system. Note the color and condition of the powerbutton light. Listen for beeps, Listen for the fans to spin up. If the fans spin up, the light is still amber and no beeps the motherbord is shot.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

Bruce2009
1 Nickel

I removed all of the componets and turned on power, light is amber. Fans spinning but no beeps. I had already replaced the motherboard when the issues began. I guess there is a chance that I was shipped another bad motherboard. If that is the case, I could be looking for other issues and just have two bad motherboards.

Is there any other way to test the motherboard(s) before I go try and get the second one replaced again?

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

There is none that I know of.  IF you got the board from Dell it will come with a 90 day warranty

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Bruce2009
1 Nickel

I called about the motherboard and it was tested before it was shipped. They are suggesting it might be the power supply since per Davet50 suggestion of removing everything from the board and see if you get the computer to beep or get further in the startup. If adding the components one at time does not change anything, then it boils down to motherboard or powersupply.

I guess I will price a power supply. 

0 Kudos
chillys
1 Nickel

I also have this same problem when booting up no beeps and nothing on display i have replaced motherboard and psu and get the sameproblem

and every1 i have taked to dont know what else to do and suggestions?

0 Kudos