Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2009 12:00

Dell Inspiron 531: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (final)

Hi,

I've just installed Windows 7 final 64-bit on my Dell Inspiron 531. Installation worked like a charm. However, I have two issues:

1. I'm getting a Windows message about a "non-critical" error regarding the Away Mode System of my PC. Windows 7 advises me to deactivate it in the BIOS. I checked, but I can't find this "Away Mode System" anywhere.

2. Probably connected to problem no. 1: There's an unknown device in the device manager, but I don't know what it could be. I guess it's got something to do with the AMD Away mode, but I hope somebody in here can enlighten me.

Thanks!

3 Posts

October 21st, 2009 00:00

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I deactivated the "unknown device" (a.k.a. AMD Away mode) in the device manager. As a result, the "non-critical error" notification went away. In other words, for now, I'm looking the other way and hope that, maybe, Dell or AMD or Nvidia (manufacturer of the Dell motherboard) release a proper solution for the issue.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2009 14:00

There is an AMD chipset driver listed in the downloads HERE that is for the Away Mode.  However, it is listed for Vista 32 bit only, in fact Dell does not support 64 bit OS at all (No 64 bit drivers listed on the downloads). 

HERE is a download site for the AMD drivers that I found doing a google search.

This is a description of the Away Mode:

Microsoft's Away Mode is also a requirement for AMD Live! compliant systems. Away Mode will allow a system to shutdown all components that are unused by a user when they are "away" from the machine. Some of the components listed are: displays, keyboards, mice, remote controls, and other non essentials. The machine continues to operate normally, with the power LED on the system will indicate an off state -- although safety issues may arise from a user thinking that the machine is off when in fact, it's still operating. According to Away Mode specifications, the machine will continue to operate normally so that tasks such as file downloading and transferring can still take place without requiring much power

3 Posts

September 26th, 2010 02:00

Numetro,

I haven't had the slightest problem with Windows 7 64-bit on my Inspiron 531. The "Away Mode" thing is still deactivated, but the PC doesn't seem to mind. :-)

22 Posts

September 26th, 2010 02:00

Hie Holgermetz,

I've been trying to find out if the full install version of Windows 7 ULT 32 bit will install on a Dell Inspiron 531 32 bit computer... I found your letter encouraging and I'm not sure if my advie will help you.

On the Vista system that is on my mom's computer that I've been trying to fix for her, there is a device driver in the Device Manager panel at the very top called "Away mode Devices"... when you click on the little plus sign next to it, it opens to show the driver called "Microsoft Away Mode system"... I'm not sure if it works the same on Windows 7 as on Vista, but maybe if you double click on that device driver icon, you can disable it in the device panel so maybe you won't get that message... not sure about this but you can always re-enable it by just going back in and clicking "enable". 

Also, I'm not sure what "Away Mode" does.

But still I am sort of happy to see your letter about Windows 7 installing on a Dell Inspiron 531... I've gone through a month of nightmares trying to fix my mom's computer for her after Window auto update installed something that totally messed up the sound and this whole cheesy Vista OS.

Good luck,

numetro

729 Posts

September 26th, 2010 04:00

I installed the following null driver for the AwayMode device when I installed Windows 7 64bit.  Just copy the following into a file named AmdAway.inf.  Then update the driver through Device Manager and that will turn off the Away Mode feature off without having to deactiviate it.

;*******************************************
; AmdAway.inf
; Null INF for "AwayMode" ACPI device
; Version 1.0.1.0
; (C) Copyright 2006 AMD, Inc.

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=System
ClassGuid={4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%AMD%
DriverVer=04/06/2006, 1.0.1.0
CatalogFile=AmdAway.cat

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
%AMD_MFG% = AWAY_MODE,NTamd64

[SourceDisksNames]

[SourceDisksFiles]

[AWAY_MODE]
%*pnpffff.DeviceDesc% = NULL_DRIVER, *pnpffff
%*pnpffff.DeviceDesc% = NULL_DRIVER, ACPI\AWY0001

[AWAY_MODE.NTamd64]
%*pnpffff.DeviceDesc% = NULL_DRIVER, *pnpffff
%*pnpffff.DeviceDesc% = NULL_DRIVER, ACPI\AWY0001

[NULL_DRIVER]

[NULL_DRIVER.Services]
AddService = , %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE% ; null service install

[Strings]
AMD = "AMD"
AMD_MFG = "AMD"
*pnpffff.DeviceDesc = "AMD AwayMode"

;Handy macro substitutions (non-localizable)
SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002

2 Posts

February 7th, 2011 11:00

Hi,

Just got an clean installation of Win 7 -32bits on my Inspiron 531, and i runs very smooth.

But my device manager gives notice of an unknown Dell driver ( I suppose the away mode driver) is not installed. (see picture 1)

I do not have the 64 bits version.

is this normal?

I followed your notice of the away driver and I installed your null driver ( copy to AmdAway.inf).

And it works!! The device manager installes it without any problem so far. (see picture 2)

I'm asking if I did good by installing it because you say it's for 64bits windows 7?

Anyway i'm very glad for this solution.

Thank you very very much.

Why Dell didn't deliver these solution urlier for his clients who want to upgrade Vista to windows 7.

Windows 7 is so far the best Windows after xp. Anyone should upgrade to it. It's worth the price.

Many greets

Carl

1 Attachment

729 Posts

February 7th, 2011 14:00

There is no problem installing the null driver in either 32bit or 64bit Windows 7.  However you shouldn't of needed to install it in the 32bit version since it comes with a built in driver.  Not sure why you had a problem.  In any case it's not needed and you took care of the issue.  Enjoy your new install.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2011 15:00

I don't know how it's possible, but it works anyway.

maybe it's not needed in the 32bit version, but i did get the questionmark from the device manager.

And I don't like those questionmarks in the device manager :emotion-2:

Thank u very much for the repley

1 Message

May 20th, 2013 14:00

Excellent.

Thank you very very much, for this information very useful.

No Events found!