Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 7th, 2015 11:00

Dell Inspiron 537s Small Desktop

This machine has hardly been used in the last five years..

It is a Dell Inspiron 537s small frame desktop..

I was using it as a secondary machine, one night I shut it down, and the next day when I pushed Start, all I got was a black screen with a message: error entering power saver mode. Also when first pushing the Start Button I can hear one click in the background, not sure what it means if anything..

Can't seem to find to much on the Internet about this, some say the motherboard others say the power supply..

Anyone have one similar and how did you solve this problem..

Thanks.

Ron..

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 8th, 2015 11:00

What color is the power supply LED on back of PC, if this model has that LED?

What color is power button, and steady or blinking?

You can try this:

1. Power off, unplug power cord from rear of PC
  2. Disconnect all peripherals
  3. Press/hold power button on front for ~30 sec
  4. Reconnect only mouse, monitor and keyboard and see if it boots now

When was last time motherboard battery was replaced?

6 Posts

December 9th, 2015 10:00

What color is the power supply LED on back of PC, if this model has that LED?  'green light'

What color is power button, and steady or blinking? 'white and steady'

You can try this:

1. Power off, unplug power cord from rear of PC  'did this'
  2. Disconnect all peripherals  'did this'
  3. Press/hold power button on front for ~30 sec  'I gave it 60 sec.'
  4. Reconnect only mouse, monitor and keyboard and see if it boots now  'Did this, and booted the machine, all fans running strong, monitor shows 'power saving mode'

When was last time motherboard battery was replaced?  'installed new one before trying the above directions..'

Note: I also changed monitors with another Dell monitor, and redid the same directions as above, I also got the same results..

Puzzled now, could be the motherboard gone..

I went back and did this:  Took the battery back out, and *** the power button for another 60 sec. Rebooted and got 4 continuing beeps, also got the power saving mode error.. Rebooted beeps went away but power saving mode error stays..

Ron..

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 9th, 2015 14:00

4 beeps is RAM error...

1. Power off, unplug, press/hold, etc...
  2. Remove all RAM modules, except from slot 1. Reseat module in slot 1.
  3. Do the "battery thing"
  4. See if it boots now
  5. Then swap all RAM modules into slot 1, until are tested and work there or you ID a bum module
  6. If they all work in slot 1, add a module to slot 2, do the "battery thing" and see if it boots
  7. Repeat #6 until either they're all installed and working or you iD a bum slot

6 Posts

December 9th, 2015 17:00

4 beeps is RAM error...

1. Power off, unplug, press/hold, etc... "Did this"
  2. Remove all RAM modules, except from slot 1. Reseat module in slot 1. "pull slot 2 reseated slot 1"
  3. Do the "battery thing"  "Did the battery thing"
  4. See if it boots now "Boots to a ambois screen, with selections to push f1 f2 f12 etc. But keyboard will not function"
  5. Then swap all RAM modules into slot 1, until are tested and work there or you ID a bum module "Tried both ram in slot one, after the ambios screen appears I get 5 beeps"
  6. If they all work in slot 1, add a module to slot 2, do the "battery thing" and see if it boots "Tried the ram thing again along with the battery thing a couple of times, nothing still get the ambios screen and 5 beeps."
  7. Repeat #6 until either they're all installed and working or you iD a bum slot

Note: my keyboard and mouse are wireless, I don't have a hardwired keyboard at this location..

I did try the above maybe 4 times and got the same results..

What would you say now..

Thanks.

Ron..

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 10th, 2015 09:00

5 beeps = cmos battery failure.

You broke the socket to the coincell when you took it out.

RESEATING does not fix a dead battery.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2015 09:00

Stopped at Home Hardware bought a new battery. Preformed the same steps over, got the same results..5 beeps..

This site is sure slow to load.. Server must be over loaded..

Ron..

6 Posts

December 10th, 2015 10:00

OK, so what does this mean..I broke the socket to the coincell. I don't understand..

Ron..

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 10th, 2015 11:00

The battery socket is hard plastic and fragile.

You should not have power on and not use metal object to press the latch as this can short out the clock circuit and permanently damage it.

The + should be facing where you can see it.

5 beeps = dead battery or you Physically broke the socket or Shorted out the battery using a metal screwdriver to pull it out.

If the "new" battery isn't dead then you damaged the clock circuit with static electricity, or broke the battery socket.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 10th, 2015 11:00

Sure the new battery is any good?

Did you install it fully in the socket and right-side-up? You can try wiping it with lint-free cloth to remove any fingerprints.

What happens if you put the previous battery back?

Possible the voltage sensor on the motherboard failed so it can't see the battery, even if the battery is good.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2015 13:00

Brand in the package..

I had everything unplugged removed the old battery ,and held the power button for almost 60 sec.. then I put the new battery in, with the + on top....

In one of the previous posts, I followed it to a tee, and this included removing the battery and holding the power button..

With the machine unplugged I use a little pen knife to pop the battery out.. I may have shorted it, unknowingly..

If the "new" battery isn't dead then you damaged the clock circuit with static electricity, or broke the battery socket.

I may have done the above unknowingly..so what would be the answer now..

I think I should really find myself a good dell repair tech. and let them repair the machine.

Ron..

No Events found!