ShadowBlisk
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 560MT (Purchased new Graphics Card)

Jump to solution

Hello everybody, my name's Adam, I recently contacted support but I was unable to find anything concrete to go away with.

I've purchased an nVidia GTX460 Geforce 796MB graphics card which hasn't arrived yet, however I wasn't aware of the PSU of my computer and I still can't find out. The wattage for the GTX460 graphics card is 450, whilst I believe my computer is 300, now I'm not expert on this matter but I'm concerned I've purchased something that wouldn't be supported by my computer.

When I purchased my 560MT, I chose the higher spec one, the one with 8GB's of RAM and the Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.5GHz. Does this have a higher PSU than the base 560MT on sale? Will my computer be okay with the graphics card I've just purchased?

Thank you,

~Adam

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
7 Plutonium

Re: Dell Inspiron 560MT (Purchased new Graphics Card)

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

No, the 560mt has only the 300w power supply factory installed, to use this card you would need to upgrade the power suppy.

The Dell Inspiron 560/570 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

No, that is not correct, the recommended 450w power supply is for both the PC and graphics card, not just the graphics card.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

Thank you for the heads up and congratulations on the upgrade. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

11 Replies
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

No, the 560mt has only the 300w power supply factory installed, to use this card you would need to upgrade the power suppy.

The Dell Inspiron 560/570 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

ShadowBlisk
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, if I'm able to I will cancel the order, but if I'm unable to cancel the order how much would a compatible power supply be? Would you have an example you could kindly show me?

Thanks Bev.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Adam,

It looks like you reside in the UK, as I live in the US and have not lived in the UK for a number of years, I'm not really conversant with your computer stores.

The Corsair 500w unit shown HERE will be compatible.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
ShadowBlisk
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Bev, sorry for the late reply.

I don't know much about the internal state of a computer, let alone a PSU, does it come with any cables that connect to the motherboard and other parts of the computer? If so, does this one you linked me come with those?

Once again, sorry for the late reply and thank you for your help so far.

~Adam

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

Yes, you connect the 24-pin and ATX12v, 4-pin power connectors to the Inspiron 560mt motherboard, that are part of the power supply wiring harness.

Also, the power supply has SATA power connectors for the drives and there maybe power connectors for a graphics card, if required

See HERE

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
ShadowBlisk
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Bev,

Thanks for your reply again. Obviously I'm being a little bit paranoid about it not working properly so I'd just like to ask that if this power supply unit you've linked me is 500W, 450W is being used by the graphics card, and 50W left over for everything else, is this correct? If so, is that enough? I could be completely wrong on this matter, that's why I thought I'd ask before I purchase it.

Thanks again Bev, and sorry for being a nuisance.

~Adam

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Adam,

No, that is not correct, the recommended 450w power supply is for both the PC and graphics card, not just the graphics card.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

ShadowBlisk
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Bev,

Thank you, I will go ahead and purchase this PSU, I hope it's all I need in order to allow my PC to function with the graphics card.

If there are any future concerns then I will bring them up here.

Thank you for your help!

~Adam

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

ShadowBlisk

Good luck, Adam. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos