Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 12:00

Dell Inspiron 570 desktop cannot start with memory stick in slot DIMM1 or DIMM3

I have a Inspiron 570 desktop, the CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz, 2MB) and it has 3GB RAM (3 sticks of DDR3 SDRAM 1GB). The BIOS version is A05.

Recently, it went down itself. Now I am only able to start it with 2 memory sticks, 1 in slot DIMM4 and 1 in slot DIMM2. Any stick in slot DIMM1 or/and DIMM3 will prevent the system to start. It does not even reach to the BIOS setup screen. The back power green light and the front 2 white lights are solid on. Screen is dark. The keyboard and mouse do not response.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 24th, 2012 12:00

You should edit your post by clicking on the small green pencil at the bottom. It's not completely readable the way it is posted--cutoff on the right. Type directly in the box instead of cutting and pasting from a text editor.

About your problem--if you are still under warranty, contact Support. You could have bad memory slots on the system board.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 25th, 2012 19:00

As your looking at the motherboard, the slot closest to the CPU is #Four.

CPU #Four/#Three  #Two/#One

The 3GB solution would look like this -
CPU #Four Blank/#Three 1GB  #Two 1GB/#One 1GB

Is this how we shipped it to you? Can you set it up like that and post the results?

3 Posts

February 27th, 2012 12:00

Yes. It was shipped in this way: CPU #Four Blank/#Three 1GB  #Two 1GB/#One 1GB.

It cannot start this way anymore. It can only start with CPU #Four Blank/#Three 1GB  #Two Blank/#One 1GB.

(in my post, I marked the slots as CPU DIMM1/DIMM2/DIMM3/DIMM4).

It was just 5 days beyond the warranty.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2012 20:00

It sounds like the dimm slots are bad. I would still contact Support and tell them that since the issue started while inside of warranty, they should send you a replacement motherboard. You would have to install it yourself or find a local store to do it.

3 Posts

February 29th, 2012 13:00

Thanks

No Events found!