Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2012 11:00

Dell Inspiron 570 no longer powers on - Is there a known fault with the power supply unit?

I have an Inspiron 570 (purchased Xmas 2010) which has worked OK for 12 months but at the beginning of January (a week or so out of warranty!)  it would no longer power on. I initially assumed it would just be a fuse or something but the fuse and power cord are fine.

The green LED on the PSU at the rear of the tower case comes ON and stays ON when I insert the power cord, but I soon as I press the POWER ON button on the front panel the LED goes off and the fan briefly turns about one revolution before stopping. If I immediately disconnect and re-insert the power cord the LED stays off, unless I disconnect it, wait a minute or so and re-connect. Trying to then power on again produces exactly the same result as previous. All the indications (to me at least) are a faulty PSU but I would certainly not expect that at all, never mind after only 12 sensible months use.

It's clear from the forum that the fault is not unique to my Inspiron 570 and I've also seen a post about a letter concerning a replacement PSU for the 570. Is it a known problem to Dell and if so, is Dell prepared to ship a new power supply unit so I can replace the original myself?

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2012 12:00

saint_dilbert

For more information on the Inspiron 570 power supply issue, go HERE

But, the free replacement program was only available until September 30th 2011.

It seems like you need to purchased the replacement, as there's no warranty in effect.

The Dell Inspiron 560/570 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Check out the Corsair/Antec brands of power supplies.

Bev.

3.7K Posts

February 7th, 2012 14:00

For more information on the Inspiron 570 power supply issue, go HERE

But, the free replacement program was only available until September 30th 2011.

It seems like you need to purchased the replacement, as there's no warranty in effect.

As per what Bev said above. Also the program on effected the US, and Canada.

February 7th, 2012 15:00

Bev,

Thanks for the prompt information; much appreciated.

It's unfortunate because had I known my machine was fitted with a defective PSU prior to it failing last month, then I would have ordered a free replacement.

After having owned three Dell laptops and two desktops over the last ten years, and armed with the Dell service tag for my 570, I would have hoped that Dell could still honour a replacement PSU; despite the fault only presenting less than a fortnight out of warranty, it's evident the machine was originally shipped from Dell with a faulty PSU that was always destined to fail.

I am looking to replace a Dell Dimension I also have in the near future.....so maybe it's something to consider before I decide where to place my business next time.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2012 15:00

Bev,

Thanks for the prompt information; much appreciated.

It's unfortunate because had I known my machine was fitted with a defective PSU prior to it failing last month, then I would have ordered a free replacement.

After having owned three Dell laptops and two desktops over the last ten years, and armed with the Dell service tag for my 570, I would have hoped that Dell could still honour a replacement PSU; despite the fault only presenting less than a fortnight out of warranty, it's evident the machine was originally shipped from Dell with a faulty PSU that was always destined to fail.

I am looking to replace a Dell Dimension I also have in the near future.....so maybe it's something to consider before I decide where to place my business next time.

saint_dilbert

You could try contacting Dell's Customer Service about this, but I think it could be an exercise in futility.

Bev.

February 14th, 2012 12:00

Just to close this one out......

Was not easy to confirm tech details or find UK suppliers of replacement PSUs for Inspiron 570 suggested by forum (Winstron Delta 6R89K or V7K62) so tried to find associated Dell UK part number for those or equivalents without success. I did contact Dell (eventually) via phonecall then live chat. Was told to email Dell support on IEBray_DISTech@Dell.com to explain problem and seek advice. Email below...

Can you please advise how I can replace the failed PSU on my Dell Inspiron 570? (Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy)

Have raised on Dell forum en.community.dell.com/.../XXXXXXXX.aspx

My warranty expired a couple of weeks before the PSU failed but I am very disappointed that Dell did not notify me that I had a machine with a faulty PSU,

and furthermore, I understand Dell also removed the free PSU replacement scheme for the 570 in September 2011, when I still had 3 months of my 1 year collect and return warranty remaining!

Clearly there were only a finite number of 570s shipped prior to Jan 11 when Dell acknowledges the PSU problem came to light, so it does not seem unreasonable to me that Dell should still honour a replacement PSU free of charge so an end-user can self-install.

Please advise.

Regards,

SD

Anyway that was a week ago and I've had no response whatsoever, so after a bit of reading up on ATX PSUs, I've removed the faulty ATX PSU supplied by Dell and replaced it with an old ATX PSU from an old and redundant desktop PC I still had in the garage. An adapter cable ordered from Amazon (Molex to 2 x SATA ) allowed me to connect the old desktop PSU to the SATA hard disk and DVD drive in my newer Inspiron 570. All is now thankfully working fine. :emotion-1:

Thanks for the forum replies I received; which were much appreciated. It's a pity Dell couldn't offer me a replacement PSU or offer any assistance to me finding a solution! :emotion-7:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 14th, 2012 17:00

saint_dilbert

Please to hear you found a solution to the power supply issue.

Bev.

13 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 16:00

I'm currently using my old (purchased way back in 2005) Dell Dimension 3000, i'm having a the same problem with my Inspirion 570 i brought last February 2011. Warranty is gone and its been shutting off and monitor going into safe mode since late January 2012. I tried to reboot the pc back to its default hoping it was corrupted file and that the random shutting down would stop. I figured after the reboot things would go back to normal, well that didn't work and as of May 31, 2012 its gone. I can't get my Inspirion 570 to work worth nothing. I called Dell, im too scared that if I pay them for the extended warranty my problem wont go away and I will end just up buying more and more

Profane word removed as per TOU>

and the problem wont be solved at all. I dont understand why my PC won't work its only a year old and some months vs. my very 1st computer a Dell Dimension 3000. Old technology but, it stills works and running on good for its age. At least it still works. Any suggests will help.

June 18th, 2012 14:00

Sounds pretty much like the ATX Power Supply Unit has failed in the same way my Dell 570 did. It was a known fault with the Del 570 PSU.

You could try and get the Dell recommended replacements PSUs (difficult to find/purchase) as per my previous post  or simply do what I did; replace the ATX PSU yourself. Its pretty straight forward  to do, ATX PSUs are pretty standard for most tower cases (look up 'ATX PSU' on Wikipedia) and are used in the Dell 570. I used an old ATX PSU from an old tower PC I had, but you can pick them up new for about £20 on-line.  

If you choose to give it a go, order a ATX PSU that comes supplied with SATA connectors for your Dell 570 (for connecting the the hard disk, DVD drive etc), however even if you have an old ATX PSU unit with Molex connectors, you can always buy adapter leads for £2 as I did.

I got my 570 back up and running for less than a fiver, albeit with a bit of reasearch and a visit to this forum, but it was worth it. Better to try a replacment PSU than throw away a couple of hundred quids worth of computer, particularly if it has valuable files/photos etc on it that may be difficult to replace.

Best of luck!

No Events found!