Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2016 12:00

Dell Inspiron 620

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 that runs Windows 7. It recently started saying it could not detect a hard drive and that all of the Sata ports are not installed. I ran the diagnostics on it and it came up with a Fail PSA Error 2000:0141. I assumed it was the hard drive failing but I noticed in the bios that it was not detecting the CD drive. I moved the Sata cables around on the motherboard and I am still getting the black screen that says HDD not found and that there is no SATA 0-4 installed. I had an old computer that ran an 80 GB HDD and I knew it worked because I was cleaning information off of it and I put it in the Inspiron 620 and it is giving me the same error. I think the SATA ports on the motherboard have quit working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 24th, 2016 14:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 that runs Windows 7. It recently started saying it could not detect a hard drive and that all of the Sata ports are not installed. I ran the diagnostics on it and it came up with a Fail PSA Error 2000:0141. I assumed it was the hard drive failing but I noticed in the bios that it was not detecting the CD drive. I moved the Sata cables around on the motherboard and I am still getting the black screen that says HDD not found and that there is no SATA 0-4 installed. I had an old computer that ran an 80 GB HDD and I knew it worked because I was cleaning information off of it and I put it in the Inspiron 620 and it is giving me the same error. I think the SATA ports on the motherboard have quit working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eharden10

The hard drive in the Inspiron 620 has failed and you need to replace it, followed by reinstalling Windows, drivers and applications.

Regards to installing/using a hard drive from a different older system, this usually will not work, unless you reinstall the Inspiron 620 Windows, drivers and applications on the 'old' HD, as the differences between the two computers is too great and not compatible.

Note: The primary C /: must be connected to the motherboard's SATA 0 connector.  See Page 43 of the Owner's manual HERE:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-620_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

2 Posts

July 24th, 2016 19:00

I am trying to put Windows 7 on the old drive I have. However the CD drive is not opening for me to put the recovery cds in. I checked to make sure the hard drive was in Sata0 and it is.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 25th, 2016 06:00

I am trying to put Windows 7 on the old drive I have. However the CD drive is not opening for me to put the recovery cds in. I checked to make sure the hard drive was in Sata0 and it is.

Eharden10

Windows 7 discs are DVD, not CD.

First check that both the power and data cables are connected to the CD/DVD drive and to a SATA connector on the motherboard, also check if the drive is shown in Device Manager and if there are any errors shown.

How to open Device Manager in Windows 7:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-7&faq=70

Also, check the system setup.

But, the DVD drive could have failed and should be replaced, luckily DVD drives are cheap to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/CD-DVD-Burners/SubCategory/ID-5

Bev.

No Events found!