Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2017 13:00

Dell Inspiron 660 desktop trouble shooting

When I hit the power button, it lights up and the HDD activity light blinks for about 3 seconds, all the fans run, and keep running, I can hear the hardware spin for a quick second. PSU light is solid green on the back. No video output. The front power light was solid orange, until I reset the CMOS battery (took It out for 5 min) after I did that the front power light is solid white until I turn it off and on about 8 times... then it goes back to the original solid orange. never any beeps in either condition.

I have disconnected all external devices and tried with the same result. I have tried draining reserve voltage with same result.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ..

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 24th, 2017 18:00

Are  you using an add-in video card or onboard Intel video? Did you check the cable connections to the monitor at both ends

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC?

Version of Windows?

3 Posts

July 25th, 2017 12:00

it is the onboard intel video... nothing fancy here. I have tested the monitor with another computer it is good. Windows was updated about 10 months ago to windows 10.

I have a strong suspicion that it is the mothermoarb because there is NO beep at startup.... but the thing that confuses me is that when I remove the RAM and start it up there is a repetitive (2 beeps) indicating that the RAM is missing .... which leads me to assuming that the motherboard is working to be able to tell me that.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 26th, 2017 13:00

When you tested the monitor on a different PC, did you use the same port you normally use on the 660?

What onboard video port do you on the 660 and can you try a different onboard port connection to the monitor?

Read this thread for more suggestions:

en.community.dell.com/.../19664120

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2017 16:00

Solid Orange Power Light is DEAD MOTHERBOARD.  Blinking Orange Light is BAD POWER SUPPLY.

It doesn't get anymore basic than that. OLOD (Orange Light of Death)

The Green LED on the back of the power supply indicates that AC power is available Not that Anything past the power cord is working.

If there is also a button on the back thats the BUILT IN SELF TEST aka BIST button.

Power Button LED

State Description
Off Off Power is Off. LED is blank.
Blinking Amber Blinking Amber Initial State of LED at power up. Refer to the table below for Blinking Amber pattern diagnostic suggestions and possible failures.
Solid Amber Solid Amber The second state of the LED at power up, indicates that the POWER_GOOD signal is active and it is probable that the power supply is fine.
Blinking White Blinking White System is in a low power state, either S1 or S3. This does not indicate a fault condition.
Solid White Solid White System is in S0 state. This is the normal power states of a functioning machine. The BIOS will turn the LED to this states to indicate it has started fetching op-codes.

ate

State Name Power Light:
Amber Blinking
Amber Blinking Pattern Problem Description Suggested Resolution
- - 2, 1 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 1 blink, long pause, then repeats Bad Motherboard
  • Replace the motherboard
- - 2, 2 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 2 blinks, long pause, then repeats Bad Motherboard, Power Supply or Power Supply cabling
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue with PSU BIST Test, reseat cable.
  • If nothing works, replace the motherboard, power supply or cabling
- - 2, 3 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 3 blinks, long pause, then repeats Bad Motherboard, Memory or Processor
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by reseating memory and swapping a known good memory if available.
  • If nothing works, replace the motherboard, memory or processor
- - 2, 4 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 4 blinks, long pause, then repeats Bad coin cell battery
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by swapping a known good coin cell battery if available.
  • If nothing works, replace the coin cell battery
S1 RCM 2, 5 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 5 blinks, long pause, then repeats BIOS Checksum Failure
  • System is in Recovery Mode.
  • Flash latest BIOS version. If problem persists, replace the motherboard
S2 CPU 2, 6 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 6 blinks, long pause, then repeats Bad Processor
  • CPU configuration activity is in progress or a CPU failure was detected.
  • Replace the processor
S3 MEM 2, 7 2 blinks followed by a short pause, 7 blinks, long pause, then repeats Memory failures
  • Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. Appropriate memory modules were detected but a memory failure has occurred.
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue with reseating memory and swapping a known good memory if available.
  • If nothing works, replace the memory.
S4 PCI 3, 1 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 1 blink, long pause, then repeats PCI Device or Video subsystem failures
  • PCI device configuration activity is in progress or PCI device failure was detected.
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by reseating PCI card and removing one by one to determine which card failed.
  • If identified the PCI card failed, replace the PCI Card.
  • If none of the PCI Cards failed, replace the motherboard.
S5 VID 3, 2 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 2 blinks, long pause, then repeats Video Subsystem failure
  • Video subsystem configuration activity in progress or video subsystem failure.
  • If customer can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one to determine which card failed.
  • If identified the card failed, replace the card. If none of the card failed, replace the motherboard.
S6 STO 3, 3 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 3 blinks, long pause, then repeats No Memory detected
  • If customer can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one memory to determine which one failed and swapping to a known good memory if available to confirm.
  • If identified the memory failed, replace the memory.
  • If none of the memory failed, replace the motherboard.
S7 USB 3, 4 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 4 blinks, long pause, then repeats Storage Subsystem failure
  • Possible storage device configuration in progress or storage subsystem failure.
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one the storages on motherboard to determine which one failed.
  • If identified the storage failed, replace the storage.
  • If none of the storage failed, replace the motherboard.
S8 MEM 3, 5 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 5 blinks, long pause, then repeats Memory configuration or incompatible error
  • Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. No memory modules were detected.
  • If customer can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one the memory on motherboard to determine which one failed. Also, combining the configuration to validate appropriate combination.
  • If identified the component failed, replace the component.
  • If none of the component failed, replace the motherboard.
S9 MBF 3, 6 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 6 blinks, long pause, then repeats System board failure
  • Fatal system board failure detected.
  • If customer can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one the component on motherboard to determine which one failed.
  • If identified any of the component failed, replace the component.
  • If none of the component failed, replace the motherboard.
S10 MEM 3, 7 3 blinks followed by a short pause, 7 blinks, long pause, then repeats Possible memory failure

• Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. Memory modules have been detected but appear to be incompatible or in an invalid configuration.
  • If customer can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing one by one the memory on motherboard to determine which one failed.
  • If identified the memory failed, replace the memory.
  • If else, replace the motherboard.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2017 16:00

I really do appreciate your help....TY

I tested the monitor with the same VGA connection AND with the HDMI and the monitor works with both. So I tried to connect the monitor to the troubled computer using HDMI and the same result.. nothing.

I am somehow back to a solid white light on the power button, still no beep at startup..

I read the thread you sent, but it is not my exact issue

No Events found!