Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2014 05:00

Dell Inspiron 660s (Early 201) - BSOD Loop

HELP please!

Every time I boot this PC I get BSOD (albeit a DELL version and less severe looking than Microsofts).

HOWEVER the same outcome!

I try to repair as suggested but back to the same screen after reboot.

Does anyone know how I can access some optical or USB media or boot option that i am missing that will allow me to restore to factory defaults?

All help gratefully received :-)

Kenny

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2014 10:00

You have to post the version of Windows and exactly what the BSOD says before anyone can help.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 11:00

Here's the problem, I just bought this business and inherited the PC. Unfortunately on day two it crashed there is no windows sticker on on the case, just dell's service tag. I think the OS is windows 8 64 bit but cannot tell due to not being able to boot. I'll get the exact error message when I get home from work. Thanks for your input

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 16:00

Recovery

Your Pc needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected

Error code: 0xc000000f

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2014 17:00

Do you have a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD for whatever version this actually is, and have you tried booting from that disk? Put DVD in the optical drive and close drawer. Reboot and press F12. Select the option to boot from the optical drive from the F12 menu.

Are you sure there's still a hard drive in this system? Or did they remove it?

If you have to do a clean install, you'll lose everything on the hard drive. Don't know if you need those files and/or if the previous owners intentionally wiped everything off the drive.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 17:00

Seagate 500gb hdd still in situ, working yesterday! No DVDs in fact no install disks at all :-(

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 5th, 2014 11:00

And the version of Windows is...??

If you reboot and press F12, can you get to the Utilities partition and from there to the diagnostics?

Did you install any new software or hardware right before this happened?

Can you ask the previous owners for the disks?

Since you're not the original owner of this PC, Dell won't send you a Windows Reinstallation disk unless you do a transfer of ownership. You'll need the exact name, address of the registered owner, etc for this PC in order to request the transfer.

Once that's done and assuming you're in USA or Canada, you can request the Windows Reinstallation disk using this form. And Dell might charge you for the disk.

If this is Windows 7, you can legally download the .iso file from Digital River for the exact same version (eg, Win 7 Home or  Pro) to create your own installation disk and then repair the system. You will probably need the Windows product key that should be on a sticker on the tower.

If all else fails, you may be able to buy a disk with same version of Windows on eBay, with appropriate caution about who's selling what. :emotion-5:

No Events found!