Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2013 08:00

Dell Inspiron 660s dead as a dodo

Hi,

Out of the blue my mum's computer gave up the ghost. Pressing the power switch did nothing, the fans didn't spin, not a peep. She rang Dell support who sent out an engineer, and he told her a virus had somehow corrupted the hardware and the motherboard and power switch needed replacing. He did this and told her to only boot the computer using safe mode because the virus was still there and it would sabotage the new motherboard if it wasn't removed.

Anyway I'm now running in safe mode and have used McAfee Security Centre to scan for viruses and found nothing. Incidentally this was already installed and up to date so the computer shouldn't have been infected in the first place. I'm now scanning the system again using Malwarebytes to get a second opinion. It's been running for 20 minutes so far and nothing dodgy has been discovered. I suppose it's still possible to have an infection that can't be detected, but that doesn't explain why the engineer was so sure a virus had done the damage.

I rang Dell support to get some more details and asked if they thought I should just re-install the OS to be on the safe side. I was told no because this wouldn't solve the problem. Bit of a head-scratcher that because I was under the impression that the only sure-fire way of removing a virus was to format and start again.

Any advise would be much appreciated please.

254 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 09:00

I can't imagine what a virus could do that would fry a motherboard and power switch ... formatting the hard drive and reinstalling is the best course of action ... nothing you have said even leads me to believe there is malware on the machine at all.  

If anything it sounds like a power surge killed it.

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 14:00

Me neither. I'm starting to suspect that the guy was just trying make a case for charging us £79 a year for a software warranty. He was very pushy just like a desperate salesman apparently. Do they work on a commission basis?

Having now booted into the full Windows environment I can see now why he was so insistent that we only ran it in safe mode - the screen goes from desktop to black screen to desktop before going black permanently. It does look like an OS re-install or maybe restore to factory default will be necessary, but not because of any virus infection. I've now scanned the system for viruses, rootkits and other malware with a variety of tools and it's returned a clean bill of health. The engineer wasn't prepared to carry out a proper fix because only the hardware is covered by the standard 12 month warranty.

When I rang tech support this afternoon to find out exactly what the engineer had done I got the same hard sell technique and couldn't get a word in edgeways. I'm very tempted to make a formal complaint.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 15:00

If the OS is Windows 7, I suggest a clean install of generic Windows. You can download the install disc ISO from Digital River.

It's easy to keep these machines operating smoothly, and that's where I would start.

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the advice. I did this using a USB thumb drive, got all the drivers installed from the original CD and then rebooted. I'm now right back at square one; I get the error message "display driver stopped responding and has recovered, display driver Intel Graphics Acceleration driver for Windows 7 stopped responding and has successfully recovered". The screen then goes black, returns to the desktop, goes black again before finally returning to the desktop and freezing the system.

The engineer kept telling my mum that the problem was that the computer has no graphics card installed, yet I was under the impression that it shipped with an "NVIDIA® GeForce GT 620 1GB graphics card". What on earth is he talking about? Does he even know himself? This is the model listed under the GPU section of the device manager so it's been correctly installed. I even tried uninstalling it in the hope that the system would fall back on the HD 4000 chip instead, but the issue remains. All the engineer would suggest is crossing his palm with £79 and he would fix it on the spot, and otherwise it wouldn't be covered by the hardware warranty. This issue didn't exist prior to him replacing the hardware so surely he is liable for fixing it?

It would be nice if I could get an official response from Dell because I can't believe this is acceptable practice, or that this is the kind of behaviour Dell's long-standing good reputation for customer service was built on.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 18:00

Have you installed the latest drivers from Intel's download site?

254 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 20:00

you might go to the dell support site and try to download the driver from there also.  there is also a way to let windows 7 go to the web and look for a driver from the windows "device manager".

6 Posts

March 4th, 2013 12:00

No, I've only tried the drivers from the install CD so far, which no doubt are a bit out of date by now. The problem was without network drivers being installed I couldn't get on the web at the time. Anyway, it got late and I had to get back home because I had an early start the next morning. I'll try your helpful suggestions next time I visit, thanks.

6 Posts

March 7th, 2013 11:00

I've now had chance to try installing the official Nvidia graphics drivers as well as the various graphics and chipset drivers provided by Dell and Intel, and the problem remains.

What I don't understand is why when you delete the driver for the HD4000 graphics built into the Ivybridge processor, Windows doesn't fall back on the Geforce 620 1GB card that supposedly came with the computer. Windows identifies that it exists under device manager, but instead defaults to its standard VGA driver when not using the HD4000. It shouldn't matter that there's an issue with the HD4000 if there's a better card already installed I can switch to. What's even stranger is that the technician told my mum she doesn't have a graphics card.

No Events found!