Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2014 17:00

Dell Inspiron One 2305 Will Not Turn On!

I have an Inspiron One 2305 that will not power on or show any indication that it will boot. I have seen many forum posts on similar topics and it seems as if some of these Dell All-in-ones are defective, specifically the Inspiron One 2305. Regardless, my unit is out of warranty and I am a PC Repair Tech so I would like to get it working. I have tried the power reset that Dell agents recommend in many similar posts (holding power button down for 15-20 seconds).

Recently, the power button had a amber light but would not boot. I had the AC adapter plugged in and disconnected it from the wall. It seemed like that shorted something out...for what reason, I do not know. Now, the power button won't even light up. I took the back cover off the computer and made sure that all of the wires were connected. I have tried a different Dell AC Adapter and still, can not get the power button to turn the unit on or light up. HOWEVER, I can see that when I plug the AC adapter in, there is a light on the motherboard labeled R334LED2 and it is illuminated. This makes me believe that the problem does not lie with the AC adapter or the power supply (if there is one). 

By the way, if there is a power supply, I don't know where it is. It seems to me that this all-in-one basically works like a laptop in that the AC adapter is essentially the power supply...AC adapter provides power to the motherboard and from there, all of the power branches out to the peripherals and components such as the hard drive, CD rom.

Conclusion: I have a Dell Inspiron 2305 All-in-one that will not power on. The power button will not illuminate, however a light on the motherboard is on, indicating that the motherboard is receiving power. I have tried all basic troubleshooting steps and replacing AC adapter. None provide favorable results. What can we do to get this computer to power on?

SIDE NOTE: I have had more power related problems with Dells. Even laptops, I have had problems where the battery got burned out then after replacing the battery and AC adapter, I could still not get the laptop to recognize the new battery. It seems like the components in Dells that distribute power throughout the computer, get burnt out. It also seems like other manufacturers have some type of fuse or some mechanism that prevents this from happening to their units.  It's weird...every time I have a power problem that simply replacing a power supply or AC adapter can not fix, it is always on a Dell!

3 Posts

January 20th, 2014 21:00

I am having the same problem (does not power on and the amber light is on).  Dell is replacing the motherboard (in the process of having this executed). The previously problem I had was resolved by replacing the hard drive. The DVD player was replaced too. From what I have read, many others have had or having these same issues we are. Very frustrating. 

2 Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the response! Dell has yet to reply (big surprise).

I assume I have a motherboard issue but since it is out of warranty and replacement motherboards are nearly as costly as replacing it with a new computer, I am looking in to a motherboard repair service.

In my case, I believe there was a short. It was acting funny and had the amber light and would not turn on but when I was troubleshooting it and removed the power supply cord from the wall, there was a *pop* sound that sounded like a short and now the power light will not illuminate at all however I can see that an LED on the motherboard lights up when power is plugged in. I don't know if I should try replacing the power button board first and then try the motherboard repair or if I should just go straight to the motherboard repair option.

1 Message

March 13th, 2014 18:00

I have the same model pc and nearly the same issue, the r334led2 does not stay illuminated, rather it lights for a split second then goes out, did you manage to fix your pc and if so what was the culprit??

1 Message

May 20th, 2014 13:00

I had the same problem and they came out 3 time and replaced every thing but the hard drive and a small part that is in the bottom right hand corner. It seem to work every time they came out and in a couple weeks i would have the same problem again. After the last time they repaired my Inspiron one it worked about 2 years until now.

It is asleep with amber on button and will not even work with a disconnect of the power cord, i guess you call that a hard boot. 

I have three of these Inspiron One computers and only have trouble with one. 

1 Message

August 14th, 2014 16:00

Did you ever get anywhere with this issue? I am experiencing the exact same issues. I removed all components and attempted to power the motherboard in stand alone. It is then that I found a blinking led light on the MOBO (led2). There is a faint buzzing noise coming from the power jack that seems to be in sync with the blinking on the power supply and the led on the MOBO. The fact that there is a light on the board leads me to believe there is power going to it. My initial response would be to replace the power Jack however, ever time I remove solder I tend to burn the silicone. The blinking led flashes 3 times then 10 times (if I counted right). The LED can be found under the mini chip near the power button. (I believe it's called the B-CAS card)

3 Posts

October 14th, 2014 23:00

motherboard is the major issue with this computer.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2014 23:00

There are so many with this same problem.

March 18th, 2015 02:00

I was having a similar issue as well as blank black display. I ordered a new sata cable (the red one) for the hard drive and replaced that. Not from dell however from somewhere else. Apparently their cable have flaws. Hope it helps you 

No Events found!