Highlighted
LittleSand
Copper

Dell Inspiron One HDMI question

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron One 2320.  I was trying to connect a TV as a second monitor.  To my surprise the HDMI port on the computer is a HDMI input port.  Am I reading correctly?  Can someone please help me and confirm that I can't use that HDMI port for connection to the TV ?

If it is in fact a HDMI input, what is it really for?  What devices that need a HDMI port to send signal to the computer.

I am so confuse with it and to why even make a HDMI input and not a HDMI output? 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Tesla1856
Thallium

Re: Dell Inspiron One HDMI question

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron One 2330 Touch.

It also has an HDMI port ... A HDMI-IN port. That would be for something like a Blu-Ray player, Cable Box or DVR, HDMI amp output, tablet ... something like that ... like the Inspiron is a simple monitor or a HDTV.

I was also surprised the only video output was a 15-pin VGA. Maybe the next model will have a DVI output. At least that way, either natively or with an inexpensive converter ... you can drive DVI, VGA, or even HDMI (with no sound). DisplayPort would be another versatile possibility.

In your case ... if your model doesn't have a VGA output (or your second monitor doesn't have a VGA Input) ... you should be able to get a "USB video card".

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
KVRamani
Copper

Jump to solution

HI,

I also have the problem.

In fact, I asked this question to DELL Presales before purchase.

They assured me that HDMI will work as both IN and OUT!.

After purchasing HDMI is not working as OUT port to connect to larger TV!

Hope DELL will maintain its commitments and will give  us an upgrade soon.

Thanks

0 Kudos
morblore
Rhenium

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron One 2330 Touch.

It also has an HDMI port ... A HDMI-IN port. That would be for something like a Blu-Ray player, Cable Box or DVR, HDMI amp output, tablet ... something like that ... like the Inspiron is a simple monitor or a HDTV.

I was also surprised the only video output was a 15-pin VGA. Maybe the next model will have a DVI output. At least that way, either natively or with an inexpensive converter ... you can drive DVI, VGA, or even HDMI (with no sound). DisplayPort would be another versatile possibility.

In your case ... if your model doesn't have a VGA output (or your second monitor doesn't have a VGA Input) ... you should be able to get a "USB video card".

That's kind of lame in a way but.... On one hand it's an all-in-one monitor and to plug it into another monitor would be weird, right? It's kind of a kiosk or kitchen type system where it fills the gap in an area that wouldn't normally have another monitor for it to plug into. It's a space-saving system with compromises.

I have to think that for me if I had the space to use multiple monitors and/or a larger monitor/TV then why would I want the all-in-one with a compromised build and not a full PC tower with more power, options and for less money? It Is advertised as a space-saving system after all.

Then again, a laptop has it's own monitor ( all-in-one is really a laptop too ) and you would absolutely want that function or what about the x51 that is also a space-saving system, ( also with compromises ) is it the same though? The x51 is listed as  "compact enough to fit on your desk. "   Hmmm...not sure. I do know cheaper laptops only have VGA outputs while the more expensive models have HDMI...maybe that in it's self is telling.

I also don't think any software upgrade could ever change it. You would need a new one with that option. The specs clearly state it's ports with HDMI listed as HDMI-IN. It's outputs are also clearly labeled and leaves little room for confusion.......

In fact, I asked this question to DELL Presales before purchase.

....unless you work for Dell Sales I guess.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-23-2330-aio/pd

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
Thallium

Jump to solution

No it doesn't. In fact, I've never seen a HDMI port on anything that works like that.

I think Morblore covered it in his post (and my quoted text).

I'm curious ... what is your "use case"? What room is this all in and what content are you trying to get to the larger HDTV (desktop, gaming, videos, etc.). If you are going to keep the 2330-AiO (and depending on your answer) we might be able to come up with a suitable solution.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
KVRamani
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

1. Pl. see the reply from DELL Sales below, confirming that HDMI can be used as OUT port, to connect to a TV.

2. I want to connect the DELL PC to a SONY 60 inch TV as a Media Player and also watch Internet Video.

3. I wanted to avoid adding more devices like, ROKO or WiFi-HDMI adapters etc !

Welcome any advice on this aspect. Thanks. 

Ramani

---

Dear sir,

1. The price which I have given you yes, that price is  inclusive of all taxes and delivery charges.
  2. And you can run HDMI slot same for in and out, like game console and connect to TV as well through the HDMI cable..
  3. In this model you offer 3yrs warranty only not more than that .
  4. And you can buy this model online itself, once you finalize it  please do revert back to me I will help you in placing this order.

Thank you & Regards,

Pallabi Chiring

Dell India | Inside Sales Account Manager

office + 08025107358, fax + 08025359804

Mobile No. 09738256418

Email: pallabi_chiring@dell.com

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
Thallium

Jump to solution

1. Use VGA out to TV (some TVs have it but I don't think it will do 1080p).

2. WD-TV-Live or Roku would be my next choice. Here in the USA, they are around $100. Turns TV into a media-server or Smart-TV.

3. USB 3.0 Video Card

- www.everythingusb.com/j5create-jua350-usb-3.0-hdmi-adapter-21429.html

- www.techradar.com/.../review

0 Kudos
KVRamani
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

1. I wanted to use  HDMI for high resolution and faster media transfer, instead of Wi-Fi!

2. Wonder if there is any other solution?

3. Is there a way to convert HDMI IN to only OUT, using firmware upgrade?

3. Can DELL Sales commit and get away with this??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoeBuck713
Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron One HDMI question

Jump to solution

Look for something called a USB Graphic Adapter with an HDMI connection. Look on Amazon or Ebay.

0 Kudos
pammyd82
Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron One HDMI question

Jump to solution

I have the same computer and it is an input I have mine connected to my cable box so I have TV on two monitors

0 Kudos