Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 16:00

Dell Inspiron One HDMI question

I have an Inspiron One 2320.  I was trying to connect a TV as a second monitor.  To my surprise the HDMI port on the computer is a HDMI input port.  Am I reading correctly?  Can someone please help me and confirm that I can't use that HDMI port for connection to the TV ?

If it is in fact a HDMI input, what is it really for?  What devices that need a HDMI port to send signal to the computer.

I am so confuse with it and to why even make a HDMI input and not a HDMI output? :emotion-9:

Thanks in advance 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2013 17:00

I have an Inspiron One 2330 Touch.

It also has an HDMI port ... A HDMI-IN port. That would be for something like a Blu-Ray player, Cable Box or DVR, HDMI amp output, tablet ... something like that ... like the Inspiron is a simple monitor or a HDTV.

I was also surprised the only video output was a 15-pin VGA. Maybe the next model will have a DVI output. At least that way, either natively or with an inexpensive converter ... you can drive DVI, VGA, or even HDMI (with no sound). DisplayPort would be another versatile possibility.

In your case ... if your model doesn't have a VGA output (or your second monitor doesn't have a VGA Input) ... you should be able to get a "USB video card".

3 Posts

June 15th, 2013 05:00

HI,

I also have the problem.

In fact, I asked this question to DELL Presales before purchase.

They assured me that HDMI will work as both IN and OUT!.

After purchasing HDMI is not working as OUT port to connect to larger TV!

Hope DELL will maintain its commitments and will give  us an upgrade soon.

Thanks

2.4K Posts

June 15th, 2013 06:00

I have an Inspiron One 2330 Touch.

It also has an HDMI port ... A HDMI-IN port. That would be for something like a Blu-Ray player, Cable Box or DVR, HDMI amp output, tablet ... something like that ... like the Inspiron is a simple monitor or a HDTV.

I was also surprised the only video output was a 15-pin VGA. Maybe the next model will have a DVI output. At least that way, either natively or with an inexpensive converter ... you can drive DVI, VGA, or even HDMI (with no sound). DisplayPort would be another versatile possibility.

In your case ... if your model doesn't have a VGA output (or your second monitor doesn't have a VGA Input) ... you should be able to get a "USB video card".

That's kind of lame in a way but.... On one hand it's an all-in-one monitor and to plug it into another monitor would be weird, right? It's kind of a kiosk or kitchen type system where it fills the gap in an area that wouldn't normally have another monitor for it to plug into. It's a space-saving system with compromises.

I have to think that for me if I had the space to use multiple monitors and/or a larger monitor/TV then why would I want the all-in-one with a compromised build and not a full PC tower with more power, options and for less money? It Is advertised as a space-saving system after all.

Then again, a laptop has it's own monitor ( all-in-one is really a laptop too ) and you would absolutely want that function or what about the x51 that is also a space-saving system, ( also with compromises ) is it the same though? The x51 is listed as  "compact enough to fit on your desk. "   Hmmm...not sure. I do know cheaper laptops only have VGA outputs while the more expensive models have HDMI...maybe that in it's self is telling.

I also don't think any software upgrade could ever change it. You would need a new one with that option. The specs clearly state it's ports with HDMI listed as HDMI-IN. It's outputs are also clearly labeled and leaves little room for confusion.......

In fact, I asked this question to DELL Presales before purchase.

....unless you work for Dell Sales I guess. :emotion-4:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-23-2330-aio/pd

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 15th, 2013 12:00

No it doesn't. In fact, I've never seen a HDMI port on anything that works like that.

I think Morblore covered it in his post (and my quoted text).

I'm curious ... what is your "use case"? What room is this all in and what content are you trying to get to the larger HDTV (desktop, gaming, videos, etc.). If you are going to keep the 2330-AiO (and depending on your answer) we might be able to come up with a suitable solution.

3 Posts

June 17th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

1. Pl. see the reply from DELL Sales below, confirming that HDMI can be used as OUT port, to connect to a TV.

2. I want to connect the DELL PC to a SONY 60 inch TV as a Media Player and also watch Internet Video.

3. I wanted to avoid adding more devices like, ROKO or WiFi-HDMI adapters etc !

Welcome any advice on this aspect. Thanks. 

Ramani

---

Dear sir,

1. The price which I have given you yes, that price is  inclusive of all taxes and delivery charges.
  2. And you can run HDMI slot same for in and out, like game console and connect to TV as well through the HDMI cable..
  3. In this model you offer 3yrs warranty only not more than that .
  4. And you can buy this model online itself, once you finalize it  please do revert back to me I will help you in placing this order.

Thank you & Regards,

Pallabi Chiring

Dell India | Inside Sales Account Manager

office + 08025107358, fax + 08025359804

Mobile No. 09738256418

Email: pallabi_chiring@dell.com

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2013 12:00

1. Use VGA out to TV (some TVs have it but I don't think it will do 1080p).

2. WD-TV-Live or Roku would be my next choice. Here in the USA, they are around $100. Turns TV into a media-server or Smart-TV.

3. USB 3.0 Video Card

- www.everythingusb.com/j5create-jua350-usb-3.0-hdmi-adapter-21429.html

- www.techradar.com/.../review

3 Posts

June 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

1. I wanted to use  HDMI for high resolution and faster media transfer, instead of Wi-Fi!

2. Wonder if there is any other solution?

3. Is there a way to convert HDMI IN to only OUT, using firmware upgrade?

3. Can DELL Sales commit and get away with this??

Thanks.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2014 15:00

Look for something called a USB Graphic Adapter with an HDMI connection. Look on Amazon or Ebay.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2014 06:00

I have the same computer and it is an input I have mine connected to my cable box so I have TV on two monitors

1 Message

April 4th, 2014 10:00

I was wondering what you have learned since your question last year.  I want an all-in-one desktop with HDMI input so I can feed my ROKU shows to watch here at my desk..  It is hard finding which models have HDMI Input or Output. It is not a common feature featured in write-ups. I see some now come with both in/out (and all should), but are above my price range of $500 or so.  Happy Days

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2014 15:00

I was wondering what you have learned since your question last year.  I want an all-in-one desktop with HDMI input so I can feed my ROKU shows to watch here at my desk..  It is hard finding which models have HDMI Input or Output. It is not a common feature featured in write-ups. I see some now come with both in/out (and all should), but are above my price range of $500 or so.  Happy Days

Hopefully they will answer.

HDMI Input is a common feature of a monitor or HDTV. Since an All-In-One is also "a monitor" good to see Dell has included HDMI Input (like any other monitor or display).

Roku and similar devices are often used in a living-room Home Theater, so you just use an HDMI-Input on the AVR or Amp.

Whether AiO or desktop and monitor ... it will be hard to get something full-featured (and large enough to enjoy movies on from a distance) for $500. That's pretty low and manufacturers will be dropping common features to reach that low price point.

1 Message

May 9th, 2014 11:00

Hi Guys I have struck a similar problem with a brand new Samsung 27 inch U28d590d UHD monitor. I have an Inspiron 2330 which as we know has only the VGA out put. I have been given multiple adaptors that takes the VGA to a DVI and / or HDMI but the computer still does not recognise the monitor. I have followed the installation process back to front but I cannot get a signal.... Any ideas?

thanks. GB

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2014 17:00

Hi Guys I have struck a similar problem with a brand new Samsung 27 inch U28d590d UHD monitor. I have an Inspiron 2330 which as we know has only the VGA out put. I have been given multiple adaptors that takes the VGA to a DVI and / or HDMI but the computer still does not recognise the monitor. I have followed the installation process back to front but I cannot get a signal.... Any ideas?

VGA out-port to VGA in-port (on second monitor) works fine. You can "Extend Desktop" to 2nd LCD and you end up with a dual-monitor config.

That being said, you are likely using incompatible adapters.

And even if they did work, how would it look? VGA has resolution limits. That's why we now use DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort . An up-scaled VGA signal is not Ultra-HD quality.

If you must use this AiO-PC, I think your only option might be a USB Display Adapter. Just be sure it supports the LG's native high Ultra-HD resolution and one of it's native port types (preferably Dual-DVI or DisplayPort).

1 Message

May 23rd, 2016 20:00

I have tried a few times over the years to hook this pc up to a tv and make it work and it would not .. a friend told me that I can hook my cable up to it and I did connect a HDMI cord from my cable box to my pc .. there was no automatic pop up prompting me to do the next thing like I had hoped lol ... been looking for answers to this all freaking week , my TV was way too big for my little room and had my mom with no TV so I sent it to her place thinking I will just hook my cable box up to my pc like my friend told me I could and I am golden ...lol its not been that easy .. cant hardly wait till I figure this out

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2016 13:00

Right, you connect HDMI cable from cable-box to HDMI-In on back of computer screen.

Use the button of the right edge to switch video input to HDMI.

No Events found!