Layton H
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron Upgrade Assistance Needed

Jump to solution

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 3655. I have a few questions regarding the upgradability of the computer.

Specs:

8 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM Stick

AMD A8-7410 APU w/ Radeon R5 Graphics

1TB 7200 RPM SATA HD

3 PCI-e half-length Slots

65 Watt Power Supply

All Included with computer^

-

Questions:

My PCI-e slots are half-length full height. Can I add a discrete GPU? Can I add any GPU?

The 65 watt power supply included with the computer is very low. Should I upgrade it to a 350 Watt supply? Can I even upgrade it?

If I add a Dell store bought 8 GB 1600 MHZ stick of RAM, same as the one included, could I dual-channel it?

If upgrading the power supply is possible, as is adding the dual-channel RAM and GPU, will I need another fan to keep my computer cool?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Dell Inspiron Upgrade Assistance Needed

Jump to solution

Hi Layton H,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Inspiron 3655 has been tested with NVIDIA, GeForce GT 730, 2GB, 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D, 1 HDMI, Full Height graphics card from Dell. Please note that this graphics card is customized by Dell, hence would work with the existing power supply. The graphics card comes with the fan, hence an additional fan would not be required for cooling the system.

There is no option to upgrade the power supply on this system and is not recommended to use any other adapter/PSU as it may cause damage to the system.

Yes, you can add another 8GB RAM, as the system supports Non-ECC dual-channel 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM max upto 16 GB.

Hope that helps. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Dell-Prajwal Sh
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

Layton H
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron Upgrade Assistance Needed

Jump to solution

Can you give me a purchase link for the RAM and graphics card? Thanks.

0 Kudos