Highlighted
jerrymart
Copper

Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400 startup problem

When I press the power on my Zino it appears to start up, I hear the boot up noise and fan going however it never gets to boot stage, power never gets to the keyboard and noting appears on the screen. There are no beeps and the color on the power button always stays normal color. Was no trouble with it at all before this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400 startup problem

Hi jerrymart,

The monitor may not be able to display the resolution you have selected on the system. Please boot into the safe mode and change the screen resolution to a lower resolution and check if you are able to boot into windows desktop screen in the normal mode.

0 Kudos
jerrymart
Copper

Thanks for response. However I don't get any power to keyboard so can't get to boot mode.

Tried removing memory but still same.

0 Kudos

If you press the power button and your fan spins up but the keyboard does not work (since the caps light does not go on when pressing caps lock key) and the video display stays blank and the system seems to hang in this state, then you have a hardware problem.

So power down the computer and remove all USB devices (including keyboard and mouse) and any other device (parrallel printer, serial device, etc) you had plugged in to the computer so your only left with the power cable and monitor cables connected, then press the power button to power up the system. If you get the same spinning fan and black screen with no beeps, it's not a periferal device causing the boot problem so you must have an internal hardware problem.

So remove the power cable and then remove the internal hard disk drive, CD drives, memory modules and any PCI/PCIe expansion cards installed inside the computer. You should be left with only the CPU installed on the motherboard and the power supply plugged into the motherboard. Now reconnect the power cable to the computer and press the power button. If the system doesn't beep there is something wrong with the motherboard.

Usually if you remove memory and boot up the system but it does not beep, then either the BIOS is corrupt or the motherboard itself is faulty. Unfortunately in most situations like this, where the system will not even POST, you can't reflash the BIOS to fix the corruption (unlike the old days). If you could you may still find there could be a hardware fault on teh motherboard.

Simplest solution is to buy another motherboard or computer.

Lastly you manual should list the beep codes and what they mean. It may even list the power on self test (POST) order and the associated beep codes when a device fails the test. Without memory installed, the memory test will fail and the system should beep so this is always a good test to determine in you have a non POSTing system...

0 Kudos

Hello.  Curious if you ever resolved this issue.

I'm working on the same machine and having similar problems.  In my case, the machine will boot without issue as long as a keyboard and mouse are not connected to the USB ports at boot, when booting cold.  They can be added after boot and the machine works normally.  The machine can be restarted, and it will boot without error if the devices are connected.

If you've experienced the same, or can shed some light after a couple months of dealing with it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jelyon
Copper

Had the exact same issue this weekend. Don't have any suggestions, other than unplugging keyboard and mouse, but your post was helpful.

FWIW, I have Ubuntu linux on my box; dunno if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
wallacefung
Copper

I think you are using Win8 or Win10 now. It is because the windows fastboot problem.

You have to go to Power Option to stop fastboot then you won't have USB keyboard boot failure.

0 Kudos